What Kind Pelecypod Is This In This Fossil ?

matthew textor

Hi everyone this is Matthew

can anyone what kind of pelecypod is in this fossil?

I found it in Kennedy N.Y. in a creek and the time period is Ordovician-Recent

here is a photo of the fossil

post-530-12531325747231_thumb.jpg

matt - i always feel bad about not being able to help with your id's but there's just nothing like your stuff around where i live. but you might mention how long the shell is. i expect somebody will have an idea what it might be. you're finding some well-preserved, cool-looking stuff...

Hi Matt

The bivalve looks like it might be Devonian. I have collect extensively in NY and most fossils will be either Ordovician or Devonian. A little bit of Silurian is present also. If they PRI still sells it, look for Paleontolical Research Institute Special Publication 21:Devonian Paleontology of New York, 1994. Looks like a species of the genus Leptopteria.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Hi Matt

The bivalve looks like it might be Devonian. I have collect extensively in NY and most fossils will be either Ordovician or Devonian. A little bit of Silurian is present also. If they PRI still sells it, look for Paleontological Research Institute Special Publication 21:Devonian Paleontology of New York, 1994. Looks like a species of the genus Leptopteria.

That's THE book to get for making IDs on NY Devonian fossils. It's not everything, but darn near close. Being in NY you might even find it in a local library. Also check out Karl Wilson's Paleontology of New York web site and browse thru the various locality photos. Karl's IDs are pretty reliable. http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

By the way it's a pretty darn nice specimen as those go.