Rowboater

Went into the woods and hunted the creek some, major rain shuffled stuff up.  Found a whole scallop, the two shells together for a million years but fell down with my bucket, broke the pectan apart, broke one, and also two partially broken ecphora are now wholely broken (fortunately I'm not broken).  May have lost a few teeth as well.  Found at least one broken cowshark (possibly three?), and several angel shark teeth, a few drum (probably more when the other stuff in the bucket dries) and mostly tiny teeth.  The most interesting find was a black vertabra with weird paired processes on each side. Lots of water in the creek, but a nice day for hunting!

121818.thumb.jpg.5db8e1c17acbb525d4031aeced2ea785.jpgIMG-20181217-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d6f5946305434e23d7ba018fea6239a5.jpgIMG-20181217-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f4e79225d83cd76a47e9387e690f964d.jpgIMG-20181217-WA0002.jpg.30b826ed916c036dd134dac406abe847.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

I hope you’re ok. Those are still some decent finds even with some casualties.:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the fall, and the losses.  :( 

Thanks for the continuing string of finds.  

I enjoy seeing them. :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful vertebra! :drool:

What are these two little objects? I think I found one at Beaumaris but haven't seen them in any id books

teeth.jpg.62a2e820b991c60aae06e11dfb93e81c.jpg

22 minutes ago, Echinoid said:

What are these two little objects? I think I found one at Beaumaris but haven't seen them in any id books

They look like the bottom end of drum fish teeth.

10 hours ago, Echinoid said:

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

They look like the bottom end of drum fish teeth.

As caldigger notes, they are the bottom of drum teeth, the top half is glossy black and/or brown.  When I first pick them up, most any small wet rock looks like a drum tooth, but after drying only the drum teeth have the glossy shine.  Some tiny black shells can be confused early.  Thought I had picked up more but they were the casualty of the fall, along with a tiny vertebra.  Back is a little sore, but that might be mostly from bending over and washing the sand away from teeth in the collander.

A few other dried finds.  Tried to show why I think the single red tooth might be a broken cowshark, has the same tiny teeth points and shape as the other two point broken one.

Also a small piece with what I think are shrimp coprolites (although the better examples have been from the beach).

A piece of a jaw(?) with tiny teeth (?).

And a piece with unusual texture (skin or impression of skin??) only on one side, solid in middle.

121819.jpg.1870b58ea27cc27e88a6e8759ed91e0b.jpg

7 hours ago, Plax said:

any chance the second from top could be a crab concretion showing appendages?

I suppose it could be .  I was just going by the rods, but there's not a lot there.  While most I find are packed full of rod like pellets some have fewer and other inclusions (crab or even shrimp?)  Are the crab concretions common?

Most collectors don't notice them but they are fairly common at some places. Small roundish concretions or even ones shaped like the outline of a crab. We collected a bunch on the Mattaponi many years ago and am aware that Westmoreland State park has them as well. A sharply focused pic of yours above would be great if possible. May not be a crab at all. I tend to see crabs and sponges where others see "rocks".:)

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, Plax said:

Most collectors don't notice them but they are fairly common at some places. Small roundish concretions or even ones shaped like the outline of a crab. We collected a bunch on the Mattaponi many years ago and am aware that Westmoreland State park has them as well. A sharply focused pic of yours above would be great if possible. May not be a crab at all. I tend to see crabs and sponges where others see "rocks".:)

Thanks Plax!  I have found several small "rocks' with just a few rods and lots of shiny black enamel.  Had compartmentalized them in my mind as not very representative burrows after GeschWhat and Carl  and Ynot had explained the rods were likely shrimp coprolites.  Will have to root around and see if I still have them and look at them in a fresh way (but my cameras need upgrading!)