Mazon Creek fossil plants: Part 1

verydeadthings

Hi guys! Long story short, a rather large collection of Mazon Creek fossils has been donated to my university. I thought I'd share some pictures of the collection and confirm some preliminary identifications. There are a lot of specimens so I will probably split this into two posts.

5c1980c9a35ef_Annulariaradiataspecimen1.2.thumb.jpg.380128284b65155bc2aa5aa8a91eaaff.jpg

Annularia radiata

5c19810e586fe_Annulariastellatamacro2.thumb.jpg.609b4b8dae786dc40e750aed2ac32bfc.jpg

Annularia stellata

5c1981289af81_Annulariastellataoverview16specimens.thumb.jpg.a651f8af9acd2b69349430f1416ea973.jpg

A whole bunch of Annularia stellata?

• I found this Informative 2

More:5c19816d9e81e_Asterophyllitesequisetiformisspecimen2.2.thumb.jpg.8b7d3b24cb0b9f7386c3664122966052.jpg

Asterophyllites equisetiformis

5c19818f3843f_Asterophyllitesequisetiformisspecimen3.1.thumb.jpg.3ca4041534ce805a17150b5abd2471f7.jpg

5c1981a35ee6f_Asterophyllitesequisetiformisspecimen4.2.thumb.jpg.9f8871f380fcfc0450c4eee14874e4bd.jpg

5c1981ba437a1_Asterophyllitesquestionablespspecimen1.thumb.jpg.bb5e0599047ae4d5fcd5e849b17d7d7e.jpg

Asterophyllites?

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my experience and looking at the ESCONI guide to the Mazon Creek Flora, I would change a few of these IDs. 

The one you have labeled as Cordaites I would say is some sort of partial Lepidostrobophyllum cone bract instead. Similarly, I would say the last item is more likely a Lepidostrobus cone with open bracts. 

The first item labeled as Calamites could be one, but the ribs are not clear- it could also be some other kind of bark or woody material. Most of the other pieces in that post look like the long thin leaves known as Cyperites.

I think the third item you have labeled as Asterophyllites is actually another Annularia radiata, but most everything else seems correct- the last Asterophyllites looks like it could be Asterophyllites longifolius, possibly.

I hope that helps, some other folks might be able to give you more detailed species-level IDs on some of these, or tell me I was wrong, I am definitely still learning. 

• I found this Informative 1

I tend to agree with @deutscheben on his ID’s, but I think that the last one labeled Asterophyllites maybe any example of Cyperites. I could be wrong, but will tag @RCFossils and he will know. BTW- nice collection to get donated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It's been a learning experience for me, to be sure. I'll try and get around to posting the rest of the donation shortly :)

Not to alter the direction of this post, but is the Mazon Creek area closed in the winter except for hunting. I stopped by there on my way back from Ohio, but was met with closed gates and hunting rules. Would have loved to find a few nodules.  @Nimravis

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Not to alter the direction of this post, but is the Mazon Creek area closed in the winter except for hunting. I stopped by there on my way back from Ohio, but was met with closed gates and hunting rules. Would have loved to find a few nodules.  @Nimravis

Yes it is, it reopens on March 1st. You must have went to the Boat Ramp area, I collect a little farther down the road, near the tipple area on N 5000 road. There are no gates there, but that area is still closed until 3-1-19 due to hunting.