Can You Guys Help Me With An Id?

Jeff

doesn't look like a fossil to me. looks like someone scribed the lines into clay with a stylus or something.

The rock that this was taken from was as big as a small car and also had shells in it every where as well

Jeff Adair

doesn't look like a fossil to me. looks like someone scribed the lines into clay with a stylus or something.

I disagree looks like a dremel to me

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Looks like a crinoid stem and a coral cup. Do you know the age of the rock?

I'm not 100% on the age of the rock I'm just getting started in this hobby and still need get up to speed a little more. :D

Jeff Adair

Looks like me like a badly eroded or perhaps former impression of a cephalopod perhaps something like Lituites lituus(the only one with that shape I can think of at the moment)

If it were a Cephalopod, would it not increase in diameter and in the spacing between the segments?

It appears to reach the edge of the plate; can we get a good close-up of the potential cross-section there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it were a Cephalopod, would it not increase in diameter and in the spacing between the segments?

It appears to reach the edge of the plate; can we get a good close-up of the potential cross-section there?

I have many Cephalopod specimens which don't, be it the way it preserved or species. Generally as a rule though I would think you are correct.

It looks crinoid-ish. I disagree about it being two different creatures though. The straight part appears to come out of the circular part and has the same pattern. Can you get a pick from a different angle to show more relief?

Jeff

IMO the circular patern is consistant with a rugose coral septal patern. The other appears to me to be a crinoid stem piece.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Looks like me like a badly eroded or perhaps former impression of a cephalopod perhaps something like Lituites lituus(the only one with that shape I can think of at the moment)

I agree with you. ;)

There are crinoids that coiled around things at their base. They did this instead of having a holdfast or "roots." In the Cincinnatian (Upper Ordovician) we can find little coiled sections of stem. That one is much larger. Knowing more about the location and age would help.

There are crinoids that coiled around things at their base. They did this instead of having a holdfast or "roots." In the Cincinnatian (Upper Ordovician) we can find little coiled sections of stem. That one is much larger. Knowing more about the location and age would help.

It was found on Taylors Ridge in NW Georgia and heres the exact location 34°34'47.64"N 85°12'12.33"W

It was in sand stone and we were also finding a lot of brachiopods as well. As for the age I'd have to guess between 250 mya and 400 mya but I could be wrong

Jeff Adair

Guest solius symbiosus

I agree with the rugosid on the circular object, but the other, I think, appears to be a cephalopod; I have never seen a crinoid stem with the internodal area raised, and the nodes eroded???

At the link is an example of what you describe. I pulled it from the Ord of Kentucky. Notice how the nodes are raised while the innernodal areas recessed.

Crinoid holdfast

Edit: It wasn't a crinoid I was mistaken so I'm thinking cephalopod again and almost positive.

Thanks Solius for catching me, I was tired.

Thanks a ton for all of your help. I saw this in big flat sand stone bolder that had been moved to build a road. I told my friend that I sure would love to add this to my collection. (too bad it was part of a 5 ton slab) Luckily about 1" of the entire surface was able to be separated and busted to a manageable size (as seen in my picture)

Once again thanks to every one!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Jeff Adair

It's an old candy cane impression. I'm almost pretty sure of it. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.