New Prep Shop

Ptychodus04

Ok, I’m going to say this is technically a prep thread since I’m building a new dedicated prep shop. It is going to be 8’x10’ and I hope to have it functional by Sunday afternoon! I started this morning relocating my garden boxes. Then I built the base. We don’t have freeze issues so leveling on blocks is acceptable.

E6414185-1F1B-47CE-A0D8-BFBB29F263F7.thumb.jpeg.a14569f14dbe80bd76fd08c49a6caf1b.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice project. 

Prepping the prepping shed. :)

Look forward to seeing the next stages. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

40 minutes ago, caldigger said:

A "Pre" shop.  Is that a shop before the shop? :headscratch:

I hate autocorrect! The pre shop is lying in the yard. It looks like a pile of 2x4s!

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Have fun! Will you have to soundproof it because of the neighbors?

Do his neighbors throw loud parties?

• I found this Informative 5

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Have fun! Will you have to soundproof it because of the neighbors?

I’m going to insulate it in order to air condition it (it gets hot here in the summer). That will do a lot for sound proofing. Happy neighbors are a good thing!

I got the walls up and part of the roof structure in place before I had to clean up for the day. I guess my years of building houses in the past are paying off. :D

C1EB7F14-C3B6-4557-81AC-E7247B3DE669.thumb.jpeg.3e32ba7b81da7fab88dc8e9c0decebce.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Sound proofing sounds good, I hear those Texans are more than passingly familiar with rifles. I suspect a neighbor sufficiently irritated might take out a noisy compressor with a well placed shot. Of more immediate concern, however - what are you gonna do with the grass/weeds between the shed and fence. From the photo there doesn't appear to be enough room for an individual of your...err...size to get in there to routinely clear it; especially having to worry about a snagged kilt.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

29 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Sound proofing sounds good, I hear those Texans are more than passingly familiar with rifles. I suspect a neighbor sufficiently irritated might take out a noisy compressor with a well placed shot. Of more immediate concern, however - what are you gonna do with the grass/weeds between the shed and fence. From the photo there doesn't appear to be enough room for an individual of your...err...size to get in there to routinely clear it; especially having to worry about a snagged kilt.

Optical illusion. There’s just enough room for me to get between the two. Eventually, I’ll throw gravel down to make it maintenance free.

59 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

make it maintenance free.

Clever. I know you are going to enjoy having a dedicated space for prep!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

You might want to anchor your building to piers since more frequent and stronger earthquakes, thanks to hydrocarbon extraction, might knock the building off its foundation if it is set unattached on blocks. 

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You might want to anchor your building to piers since more frequent and stronger earthquakes, thanks to hydrocarbon extraction, might knock the building off its foundation if it is set unattached on blocks. 

It actually is only on 2 blocks for leveling. The base is set on 12” centers and pressure treated for ground contact. So, the vast majority is on the ground. 

That being said, most cities have restricted hydrolic fracking. I’ve never felt a quake at home (I’m pretty far from the main local fault in Irving that was moving so much) and I have not felt a quake at my office in over a year (used to be monthly). 

This is a really cool project, Kris. It makes me wish we had the permission to erect small outbuildings here! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

This is a really cool project, Kris. It makes me wish we had the permission to erect small outbuildings here! 

At 80 square feet, I’m well under a ge size that even requires a permit. 120 square feet triggers that little bit of bureaucratic joy.

If course, it has to pass my wife’s inspection and she said last night she gets to decorate the exterior since it dominates our yard. 

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I hear those Texans are more than passingly familiar with rifles. I suspect a neighbor sufficiently irritated might take out a noisy compressor with a well placed shot.

We are... well, some of us. I think many of my neighbors are not as familiar as my boys and I are with them. :P

Ok, pressure treated lumber for base.  Good.     Building with 12 inch centers.  Good.   Real plywood for flooring and not osb.  Good.   Now, my only question,  where is the 2nd story?  :)

RB

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, pressure treated lumber for base.  Good.     Building with 12 inch centers.  Good.   Real plywood for flooring and not osb.  Good.   Now, my only question,  where is the 2nd story?  :)

RB

My CFO (wife) has a different idea of what constitutes a requirement for a prep shop. :D

This door idea might keep the neighbors guessing... and away... :rofl:

outhouse new location.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

13 minutes ago, daves64 said:

This door idea might keep the neighbors guessing... and away... :rofl:

outhouse new location.jpg

I would have to come up with a really good story to explain the large size of my outhouse though. 

LOTS of room to think..... Plus an air filtration system (to explain the noises).. :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.