New Prep Shop

Ptychodus04

My new shop had its baptism by fire last night (well really by water but that doesn't invoke the right feelings as it would simply be a baptism...). We had torrential rains with extremely high winds all afternoon and through the night. I got up this morning expecting to mop up the place but nary a drop of rain made it into the interior! My only casualty was the trim on the door. Due to its lack of paint, the rain made the wood swell and I had quite a time getting the door open!

• I found this Informative 5

On 12/27/2018 at 7:17 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

My new shop had its baptism by fire last night (well really by water but that doesn't invoke the right feelings as it would simply be a baptism...). We had torrential rains with extremely high winds all afternoon and through the night. I got up this morning expecting to mop up the place but nary a drop of rain made it into the interior! My only casualty was the trim on the door. Due to its lack of paint, the rain made the wood swell and I had quite a time getting the door open!

so now that it has been babtized, when do we get to see the first prep project to be attacked in that shed?

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

so now that it has been babtized, when do we get to see the first prep project to be attacked in that shed?

RB

I’m planning to go in the attack today. I was supposed to be staining my fence but it is too cold so I’m off the hook 

Here you go @RJB. I couldn’t find a before pic since I started this prep several years ago, but here’s the after. This is from Morocco but I don’t know anything more. It was part of an old collection that had no notes.

E7BA3281-6A67-45E4-BDFB-B725416AC874.jpeg     2D86FF68-5B3B-47BA-8CBD-F2109C1DF439.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

On 24.12.2018 at 8:58 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m all set up, mostly. I’m sure I’ll rearrange some but overall, everything is in place. I’m definitely going to build some shelves to make use of the dead air space.

Yay! :yay-smiley-1: Sorry I missed out on this earlier.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Here you go @RJB. I couldn’t find a before pic since I started this prep several years ago, but here’s the after. This is from Morocco but I don’t know anything more. It was part of an old collection that had no notes.

Very nice! It’s a good starter for many more to come.:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

On 12/30/2018 at 12:17 PM, UtahFossilHunter said:

Very nice! It’s a good starter for many more to come.:dinothumb:

Thanks. I'm glad to get a few of these old ones out of the way before I get backlogged with the "post Christmas I have money to burn" prep jobs that start rolling in late winter. :P

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/25/2018 at 3:40 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m going to try to dampen the compressor sound a bit more to make sure the neighbors stay happy.

The rehearsal studio I passed my misspent youth in had cardboard egg flats stapled to all the walls and ceiling. We rarely had a sound complaint; even though the building was located in the uptown among businesses and indeed the County library was directly across the street! The real secret to no complaints, rather than the anti-echo egg flat soundproofing, was the fact that the town closed down at 5PM! So go to the farmers market and buy dozens and dozens of eggs :D and have your neighbors leave their homes during your sessions. No problem.  

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Just catching up on this topic. That is a great project!  As a fellow Texan, I know you will enjoy the AC aspect of it in a few months.  That  will be a huge plus and allow you to spend more time prepping during the summer. 

Your project reminds me of a similarly sized building (different use) I built several years back. Turned out I built it a little too close to the lot line, and someone ratted me out to “the authorities” and I had to move the building a foot or two even though you could barely see it over the fence.  Luckily, just as you have done, it was setting on blocks so it just took some rollers and pry bars to move it. Live and learn. 

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

The rehearsal studio I passed my misspent youth in had cardboard egg flats stapled to all the walls and ceiling. We rarely had a sound complaint; even though the building was located in the uptown among businesses and indeed the County library was directly across the street! The real secret to no complaints, rather than the anti-echo egg flat soundproofing, was the fact that the town closed down at 5PM! So go to the farmers market and buy dozens and dozens of eggs :D and have your neighbors leave their homes during your sessions. No problem.  

I’ll get right on that! I’m thinking I’ll need some cash to bribe the neighbors though!

57 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Just catching up on this topic. That is a great project!  As a fellow Texan, I know you will enjoy the AC aspect of it in a few months.  That  will be a huge plus and allow you to spend more time prepping during the summer. 

Your project reminds me of a similarly sized building (different use) I built several years back. Turned out I built it a little too close to the lot line, and someone ratted me out to “the authorities” and I had to move the building a foot or two even though you could barely see it over the fence.  Luckily, just as you have done, it was setting on blocks so it just took some rollers and pry bars to move it. Live and learn. 

Don’t you just love it when that happens? Thankfully, I’m well within the required distance from my property line, and I’m on good terms with my neighbors (thus the concern about quieting the compressor as much as possible).

I built a shed for my lawn mower and fossil stuff this summer. Your project sounded much easier as I had to get a land survey, permits, and had the person who was supposed to help bail on me. I also made it a 12\12 pitch and 13 ft tall in the middle, which made doing it all myself so much fun. I didn't even finish the interior before winter so more work to do. 

You planning on putting any kind of air filtration system in there? I know you said you always wear a respirator, but I'd like to try to make a fancy one like they have at the museum's where I wouldn't have to. I've tried asking a few of them what they use and they all have a central unit in another room it seems. 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

E7BA3281-6A67-45E4-BDFB-B725416AC874.thumb.jpeg.e001500a8cc470ff1d95710bf49d4892.jpeg   2D86FF68-5B3B-47BA-8CBD-F2109C1DF439.thumb.jpeg.12653467fc7650bffa0af37e47c18b72.jpeg

Prep shop looks cracking. Wish I had a bigger amount of space for something I’d this size. The bottom left ammo looks like lytoceras although I’m not familiar with Moroccan material so I could easily be wrong. Great prep regardless :D

1 hour ago, DanJeavs said:

Prep shop looks cracking. Wish I had a bigger amount of space for something I’d this size. The bottom left ammo looks like lytoceras although I’m not familiar with Moroccan material so I could easily be wrong. Great prep regardless :D

Thanks. I’m happy with the shop. I’ve been tossing the idea of one around for years and finally got to the point that I could afford to do it. The dedicated space is really convenient. My space in the garage tended to get overrun with house items making it a pain to prep in. Plus, the rock mess in the garage was a nightmare to manage

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. I’m happy with the shop. I’ve been tossing the idea of one around for years and finally got to the point that I could afford to do it. The dedicated space is really convenient. My space in the garage tended to get overrun with house items making it a pain to prep in. Plus, the rock mess in the garage was a nightmare to manage

It’s definitely worth it. I bought a nice sized shed to work in, but it’s very quickly getting filled up and realising I might struggle to get everything in I want. A dedicated space is just nice to not be bothered by anyone haha

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Congratulations on finishing this fulfilling project.

I am sure You will get much enjoyment out of it.

Thanks. It has already proven to be a useful addition. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I realized that I never posted a picture of the shop after it was completed. So, here it is. It is very messy on the inside now, as it should be. :D

So show us your mess too :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ptychodus04, I have to say, this is an outstanding little work area, and I'm more than a little jealous. That being said, I thought it was humorous that my biggest takeaway from your photos came not in the form of the building, but in the lab coat hanging on the wall. 

I don't know why I never thought of it, but I was getting really tired of immediately having to shower and put all of my clothes in the wash after coming out of my prep area. For some unknown reason, the idea never crossed my mind. Thanks to you, I just ordered a lab coat, and now don't have to keep dragging Devonian dust into my living room en route to the bathroom!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

10 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

@Ptychodus04, I have to say, this is an outstanding little work area, and I'm more than a little jealous. That being said, I thought it was humorous that my biggest takeaway from your photos came not in the form of the building, but in the lab coat hanging on the wall. 

I don't know why I never thought of it, but I was getting really tired of immediately having to shower and put all of my clothes in the wash after coming out of my prep area. For some unknown reason, the idea never crossed my mind. Thanks to you, I just ordered a lab coat, and now don't have to keep dragging Devonian dust into my living room en route to the bathroom!

That’s awesome. I’m glad you had a beneficial take away. The lab coat really does help. It takes the brunt of the mess. When I come in, I just have to wash my hands and face to get the fine dust off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, Ludwigia said:

So show us your mess too :P

Ok, here’s a glimpse at my growing mess. The shop has a real lived in feel now as everything has a nice layer of fine dust on it. I’m thinking about biluilding a filter box to scrub the air in order to help with this. I don’t have any health concerns since I wear a good respirator when I work but the place is getting grungy fast.

AE38F228-C3EB-4284-B1E8-F3742501B3D1.thumb.jpeg.eaaf399d9996f5ee9ccaebc08778a734.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ok, here’s a glimpse at my growing mess. The shop has a real lived in feel now as everything has a nice layer of fine dust on it. I’m thinking about biluilding a filter box to scrub the air in order to help with this. I don’t have any health concerns since I wear a good respirator when I work but the place is getting grungy fast.

AE38F228-C3EB-4284-B1E8-F3742501B3D1.thumb.jpeg.eaaf399d9996f5ee9ccaebc08778a734.jpeg

I will take a mess like that in my workshop any time :) love your setup :dinothumb: