Mykkhul97

maybe banded agate

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

20 minutes ago, Mykkhul97 said:

Common?

Not so common. :)

5c1af28792880_Jaspilite_banded_iron_formation_(Soudan_Iron-Formation_Neoarchean_2.69_Ga_Stuntz_Bay_R-und_State_Park_Soudan_Minnesota_USA)_10_(19228731171).thumb.jpg.e00d3d0924eb6307f734c2c0097b3cc0.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, supertramp said:

or alternatively a slab of a migmatitic rock (with ptygmatic folding)

ciao

The colors in the top image (while not conclusive evidence) indicate agate or Jaspillite rather than migmatite. Notice in your links all of the migmatite samples have dark bands with either pink or white layers intermingled. The lights and darks in migmatite is due to vigorous metamorphism. Pressure and heat induce foliation in igneous minerals and heat some to the point of nearly melting (or actually melting in some minerals on the lower end of Bowen’s reaction series). Pinks are usually potassium feldspars in migmatite. Darks typically being amphiboles. Agate can be any color depending on the trace elements inside it. Jaspillite is moderately metamorphosed alternating bands of hematite and silica like in banded iron formations where iron is creating the extravagant coloring. If @Mykkhul97 so desired, testing the Moh’s hardness and streak of several of the bands to determine whether the whole piece is silica as it is in typical agate, alternating bands of hematite and other iron rich minerals and silica in Jaspillite, or several different high-heat igneous minerals like in migmatite would help rule out a couple of them.

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Well I came across a tub filled with slabs of everything and I only know a handful of them. So here is a few more pics if you or anyone could help me. Thank you very much! 

20181223_132818.jpg

I see features of agate.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library