Dino Poo?

grendel67

Hi everyone

My son wanted to know if the rock he has is dino poo. Got it from grandma when she was traveling around out west she found it thought he would like it. It looks like fossil poo or something puked up. What do you all think?

post-2235-12531495481569_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12531495800339_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12531496035565_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12531496330614_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12531496423061_thumb.jpg

post-2235-1253149671796_thumb.jpg

it does not look like dino coprolites i have seen, but it is very unusual and i wish i could see it better. it might be "something", is my impression.

I see (I think) an aggregation of mineral structures, which is pretty unusual for coprolite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go to EBay and search "dino poo" and "coprolite" and see what you think. From the pictures you have, I sure couldn't rule out the possibility.

it does not look like dino coprolites i have seen, but it is very unusual and i wish i could see it better. it might be "something", is my impression.

Do you need a better picture?

not really. i think auspex best expressed my reservations concerning its makeup. there's sort of a round, "quartzy"-looking reddish rock in the part on the right, and several other things that don't go well with the concept of it all originally being a pile of poop and then mineralizing. and i'm seeing minerals that don't seem to go together so much in replacement, or "pseudomorphing".

but just for future reference, maybe make the pictures somewhat larger, maybe 1000 pixels wide, so we can "zoom in" a bit to look at specific places on them. what i was looking for was any of the little structures that might look organic in origin rather than just "rocks".

not really. i think auspex best expressed my reservations concerning its makeup. there's sort of a round, "quartzy"-looking reddish rock in the part on the right, and several other things that don't go well with the concept of it all originally being a pile of poop and then mineralizing. and i'm seeing minerals that don't seem to go together so much in replacement, or "pseudomorphing".

but just for future reference, maybe make the pictures somewhat larger, maybe 1000 pixels wide, so we can "zoom in" a bit to look at specific places on them. what i was looking for was any of the little structures that might look organic in origin rather than just "rocks".

I can do that I still have the pictures in orginial format so I can uplaod them again at a larger size.