Rowboater

Was curious to see what had washed up on the beach.  Weather was dominated by east winds and usually north winds bring in the most stuff.  From my finds it appears that a lot of sand was deposited covering, sadly, most shark teeth.  Did find several shrimp(?) coprolite "burrows" (which I had not seen much until my previous trip?)  @Plax    @Carl @GeschWhat

Found only four shark teeth- -  a medium Mako, a rootless Hemipristis, a sand tiger and a broken sand tiger (initially thought it was something more interesting, the break was polished smooth by the sand).  Found my second piece of skate plate, with two teeth, but not as pretty as the first), and lots of small "whale bone".  Pottery shards as well, but shells for the most part were sand covered with the presumptive teeth.  Nice weather before the rains (and south winds which don't deposit much). 

122018.thumb.jpg.e163196be1325066b05dc6050db574d8.jpg122018-1.jpg.ed4292a9a5e3baeedcb4279837f34c27.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Here is a photo showing the interior of one of those you sent. As you can see, they are filled with pellets. :D

Cut burrow.jpg

Nice Lori!  Is it your impression that all the coprolites come from one species or at least have the same "channel" numbers?   

Also @Plax suggested that in at least one of the samples i posted, the rods might be legs of a crab.  I occasionally find ones that are less clear and, either are pieces of a fossilized crustacean, or I'm hopeful, of one of these things caught with its coprolites  and fossilized in its burrow.  Digging through some old stuff (sometimes its good to be a bit of a packrat) found several other, particularly ugly ones. 

Still curious why they don't co-localize better with good shark teeth days.  Possibly others pick up the shark teeth better than me on the two little beaches, but I doubt anyone locally bothers with the burrows yet @Carl.   Wish they were more predictable; sort of bad to expect yet find none several trips in a row.

That looks great. I guess I need to do the same with at least one of the ones you gave me... I guess it's possible that more than one species is represented here, especially since I am interpreting them as hydrologically sorted accumulations, but I find it very hard to accept that, partly because these animals, if I have my head screwed on right, live in large colonies of only one species.

I haven't yet seen anything in your samples to suggest crustacean legs associated with these but it certainly would be a huge bonus to find that! Keep looking!

I would certainly bet that you have an eye for these that very few would have. And with the shark tooth mania that exists I suspect that even if folks saw these, and even if they knew what they were, they'd still get passed up. More for us!

• I found this Informative 1

that texture is very interesting. Have never seen anything like it before on a burrow or coprolite.

18 hours ago, Plax said:

that texture is very interesting. Have never seen anything like it before on a burrow or coprolite.

Thanks Plax.  I have seen a few before, but not so zipper-like.  Ill probably send to Carl and see if he can figure our.  One track curves around and I'm hoping whatever made it is in the burrow, but probably wishful thinking!

• I found this Informative 1

That is very interesting! I wonder if it was made by something similar to what I noticed in a South Carolina coprolite. I haven't had a chance to try to research this yet. It was left by something that burrowed into a coprolite. I just happened to notice it when the light hit the boring just right. 

Trace.jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, GeschWhat said:

That is very interesting! I wonder if it was made by something similar to what I noticed in a South Carolina coprolite. I haven't had a chance to try to research this yet. It was left by something that burrowed into a coprolite. I just happened to notice it when the light hit the boring just right. 

Trace.jpg

Thanks Lori (missed your post earlier!)  Does look very similar.  I sent a few to Carl, maybe he can figure out what the tracks are from.  

My last few trips to the beach haven't yielded any shrimp coprolites, despite good winds for moving stuff.  The water has been high even at low tide (too much East wind) and has been muddy. Need more beach spots.