Devonian "Mangal" Tree Shoots - Central NY

hitekmastr

This is an assortment of what I've been told by Devonian fossil experts are "mangal shoots" - tubular shoots growing in an ancient Devonian mud swamp, similar to mangrove shoots.  I am told these are most likely shoots of the Wattiezza fern tree, which has been found in Devonian strata in New York.  I discovered these in central New York at a construction site where I asked permission to collect some fossils a few years ago.  I also collected several Devonian plant stems as well as several of these "mangal shoots".  They were found vertically situated from 1 to 3 meters apart, in a layer of fossilized mud.  Several stems or roots were also revealed in situ but too fragile to recover intact.  The "mangal shoots" are tube shaped, rounded on the top, some have evidence of root structures (similar to swamp tree roots like Cypress, that spread out at the base) and there is a small circular tube structure running down the center.  One photo shows the bottom where "root" appendages are shown. None are solid, all are broken into segments.  Here are a couple of photos.  Any insights and comments would be welcome.

Devonian Tree Fossils Trip b_M.TomczykAug2013_sm.jpg

Devonian Tree Fossil Segments_sm.jpg

DT9b Bottom 3 Root Circles_M.Tomczyk_Aug2013_sm.jpg

Devonian Tree Shoot DT2b_sm.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I know of three studies of ...

Look, it's very plain where they're from :ninja:

The original Berry article (which I've read) which defines Wattieza offers too little leads.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome back Mike. It's been a while. Missed you. Nice to see those mangal shoots again- very provocative fossils when you first showed them, and still are today.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one of the best specimens from my mangal shoot collection. All have steles in the center and evidence of root attachments, plus some show a cypress-like base. The photo shows where it was found in situ.

20190107_191231.jpg

• I found this Informative 1