Crystalized fossils in limestone blocks

Barbara M

I am looking for information on what kind of fossil this may be.  It is in a limestone block wall in Ontario, Canada.  There is evidence of crystallization in most of the fossils and crevices.  This example is almost a foot long, 4 inches in height.  There are brachiopods in many of the blocks as well, and a number of fossils similar to this example.

Fish 1.jpg

+1 for nautiloid cross section. You neglected to say where in Ontario (we have spread from the Ordovician to the Devonian along the southern stretch). I am guessing by the matrix and size Ordovician, so closer to Toronto area.

it is common that the “core” area (the siphuncle) will be replaced by calcite, giving it a “crystallized” appearance.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The fossils  are in a rock wall in Oshawa Ontario, but have been moved to this location. Each block is approximately 2.5 ft tall x 2.5 ft  wide x 3.5 ft long. 

So about 0.7 x 0.7 x 1.0 metres? What was the material imported for? Given the number of nearby quarries, it would be likely whatever this wall is composed of would be sourced locally, thus making it very likely Ordovician in age.

The stones make up a retaining wall along a busy street as the road slopes down into a ravine. 

Yes, it is likely locally sourced

If you join a CCFMS rock club you’d be welcome to come dig with us at the biannual St Marys quarry trip (May and October), which is right nearby in Bowmanville. :)

+1 for cephalopod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks