JimHank

Post Oak Creak Sherman Tx Hunting Tips

JimHank

Hello all,

Jim here and brand new to fossil hunting. My wife and took a trip up to Post Oak Creek today and spent a couple hours looking for fossils, specifically shark teeth. We came up empty handed and so I figured I would hit up some seasoned professionals for advice on tips for finding them. We saw a few different folks there wearing rubber boots and had sifter boxes, not sure if they were successful but at least told me we were in the right place....where Travis Street crosses over the creek.

Any advice and tips you can share would be greatly appreciated, I was really excited about finding some sharks teeth and bummed when we didn’t find any. I did find what appeared to be a fossilized bone but being a complete newbie I have no idea, I left it but did take some pictures I can post if anyone is interested.

thanks in advance,

jim

Raggedy Man

The best tip: Don't give up!

Tidgy's Dad

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Bit out of my area so can't help, but there are many members who know this area very well and am sure could offer you great advice. 

DPS Ammonite

Welcome to the Forum.

Get closer to the ground: sit down or bring kids along. That is why young kids with better vision are sometimes more successful. Most of my teeth were found by looking at the gravel close up.

Join the local Dallas Paleontological Society: they take trips there and will be able to give you good advice.

https://www.dallaspaleo.org/

JarrodB

Walk a little ways away from the bridges if you see lots of tracks. Crawl around with knee pads and gloves (lots of glass). Some gravel bars have more than others so if you come up empty handed after 30 minutes or so move to the next gravel bar. 

Dustinwolfe82

Jim,

I went yesterday for my first time and found a few gems. I found out that a screen really helped me out. I literally had a house screen from Home Depot, but I’m going to buy some gold sifters for my next trip. I noticed the water was a little high to walk very far from the bridge. My family had on water boots but the water was too high for us to travel far from the bridge. I wanted to wonder down stream thinking it was less sorted through but who knows. We stayed about 2 hours and saw 8 different people hunting during our time there.

JimHank

Thanks all for your responses, I will make a sifter and get some at least knew high rubber boots for my next trip. I really enjoy hunting for the treasures, just be nice to actually find some *smile*

Ramo

Most teeth you will find are pretty small.  I find that people that are new to hunting fossil shark teeth are looking for something huge.  In reality most cretaceous teeth are pretty small.  Think how close you would have to look to find something similar in size to your smallest fingernail.  If you are looking this close you'll also find the bigger stuff.

sixgill pete
8 minutes ago, Ramo said:

If you are looking this close you'll also find the bigger stuff.

This fits right in with advice I have given many people. "LOOK SMALL FIND BIG".

Dustinwolfe82

Jim,

When I left last weekend I had 3 large cups that I filled with sand from the sand bars. I decided to just kind of sort through the sand and this is what I found. They are all super small but to me they are awesome! I think it’s 4 teeth and a small piece of bone. I also found what I think is either a tiny Ptychodus tooth or a fragment of one. I can’t tell if it’s broken off or just a small tooth. Maybe he had a cavity from all those sweet treats he was eating. Haha

D694CC48-E2F7-4639-BB11-D9C49F038829.jpeg

F98A2B1B-DE09-48D6-971E-5E7D8C0E347D.jpeg

54335553-ECF0-402E-B1FB-B84892AD9C2F.jpeg

07DEB8E2-6711-4DD4-B520-59488910138D.jpeg

Captcrunch227

Definitely a ptychodus tooth, a bit worn but lovely nonetheless! I love finding ptychodus teeth, they're so beautiful

JimHank

Thanks for sharing and yes I obviously need to look much closer....very nice finds, Gratz!