Color, texture, shape

Bryon K Young

Found around some plants in my yard.  Very bright color,  a few different shapes.  Would appeciate any help in ID.  and age would be great.  

D8D8DFC7-BD96-4759-93F2-07E1A723759F.jpeg

It would really help if you would include the location in your post. The more information you can give for ID the better.

It's quite likely that this is a dewatering feature. They form as fluids are being pressed out of pore spaces when sediments are accumulating. Often relatively impermeable layers being breached are the cause.   

• I found this Informative 3

I agree that this looks like a sedimentary structure. 

Geological in origin, rather than biological.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Auke Bay is in the Mendenhall Glacier area.  When digging we often run into what we call blue clay.  It has been explained as glacial silt from retreating Mendenhall. 

So, it might be considered claystone?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Glauconite is mentioned in the makeup of a similar formation here in Maine. Such clays make good impermeable layers.

Could you please post a couple more pics of the top side from different angles?

Is that top layer kind of mother of pearl iridescent or more like oil slick rainbow colors type thing?