Sauropod maxilla?

Anomotodon

Bought this specimen as a crocodile jaw section a while ago, it is from Turonian of Bissekty formation, Uzbekistan. Teeth were definitely conical, which fits only two groups in that area - sauropods and crocodiles, but recently after looking at some skulls I noticed that it really doesn't fit crocodile skulls - both Alligatorid and Pholidosaurid.

What it seems to fit, is a titanosaur sauropod maxilla (Tapuiasaurus macedoi skull on the pictures below). 

Please confirm if I am imagining things here or (hopefully) not

@LordTrilobite @Troodon

photo_2018-12-23_11-18-48.thumb.jpg.c7974967893c27e4c01fb94d710ddb0c.jpg

image.thumb.png.54c6b6eb926f3d146936b4d6e2d30028.png

photo_2018-12-23_11-18-43.thumb.jpg.39fb4d3efc3f8ae40bcd1fd67a318b79.jpg

ÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ titanosaur skullphoto_2018-12-23_11-30-27.thumb.jpg.273f620f6ccaaaafd770fa0a727f76a1.jpg

And an Alligator skull for comparison

ÐоÑожее изобÑажение

image.png

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

Any part of sauropod skull would be very rare indeed.

But I agree that this does not seem to fit croc. But it's hard to tell what it does fit since it's a fairly small fragment. Is that one small tooth I see that's intact? And is there a suture visible anywhere? Any additional diagnostic features might help a lot in determining what this might be. Perhaps you could post some more photos?

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

No sutures and no intact teeth, unfortunately :( Forgot to mention each square on the paper is 5 mm, total length is about 8 cm.

image.thumb.png.eea29f4d54e9d6fd8a55811aef55ce5c.pngimage.thumb.png.efbd939c313cecc7666a655bb7d5e7c7.png

The Tooth Fairy

The sauropod teeth Ive seen in a paper from the Bissekty Formation appear to be uniform in diameter and not different sizes like the ones in your jaw which is more typical of Croc.   Sauropod peg teeth are fairly consistent in a jaw with replacement teeth.  

In looking at Wikipedia there are a number of Crocodylomorphs reported from the Bissekty Fm.

There were also ichthyodectid fish like Aidachar with conical teeth, but the structure and shape are not very fishy

�а��инки по зап�о�� xiphactinus maxilla

Xiphactinus maxilla for comparison

The Tooth Fairy

4 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

The sauropod teeth Ive seen in a paper from the Bissekty Formation appear to be uniform in diameter and not different sizes like the ones in your jaw which is more typical of Croc.   Sauropod peg teeth are fairly consistent in a jaw with replacement teeth.  

In looking at Wikipedia there are a number of Crocodylomorphs reported from the Bissekty Fm.

That's a very good point. The teeth size difference does point away from Sauropod. Though the jaw structure itself does not seem very much like a croc.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

11 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

In Averianov's paper all teeth described were not associated, they didn't find any jaw sections. Here are some upper jaw teeth from that paper. 

Otherwise, you are right, haven't really seen sauropod skulls with different diameter teeth. Maybe it could be a juvenile feature? If this maxilla is indeed a sauropod it is definitely from a young individual.

As for the crocodylians - I can't find any matches, this maxilla is too tall for all species known from this area - goniopholids, alligatorids and pholidosaurids (haven't seen any formal descriptions, but I have a pholidosaurid tooth from there that came as a gift with this jaw).

This maxilla also lacks those small sensory holes typical of crocs.

Presumably-upper-sauropod-teeth-with-wear-pattern-a1l0-from-the-Upper-cretaceous_W640.jpg

Here is a Tapuiasaurus maxilla

photo_2018-12-23_11-30-27.thumb.jpg.273f620f6ccaaaafd770fa0a727f76a1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

I'd recommend you get that x-rayed, see if there are any un-erupted teeth for ID.  Most dentist offices will do it, they'll even enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:55 PM, zekky said:

I'd recommend you get that x-rayed, see if there are any un-erupted teeth for ID.  Most dentist offices will do it, they'll even enjoy it.

Thanks, that's a great idea! Will try to do that 

The Tooth Fairy