Ramon

Hi, I went to the Tamazunchale area for Christmas break, and I bought this fossil from a local collector. He told me it was from some sort of aquatic animal. The sediments from the area are from the Pimienta, Santiago, and Taman formations. They represent Late Jurassic marine environments. Could this be a caudal fish fin (fish tail), or something else. I though it resembled part of a feather, but since they are marine sediments I doubt it.

2E0E5516-46E8-476B-BF3E-635F36416992.thumb.jpeg.d276ab793ed34cb61fb16a487013a986.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I agree, it looks like a fish tail. Could we get a closer picture of this area to determine if there are any vertebrae present to be certain?

6981E4C0-9D7D-4FDA-907D-C85585603BC4.jpeg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I looked up fossil feathers in google, and found this dinosaur feather from the lower Cretaceous of Brazil. 

73DFE71D-DAE2-47C8-9420-D12795AD3389.jpeg.3f5dd116ffb047ce1efe9342bc7315af.jpeg

D272D88D-8409-4001-927D-3436A28EE5E3.thumb.png.9fb1e198550e8959e5693c6e1181199d.png

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I agree, it looks like a fish tail. Could we get a closer picture of this area to determine if there are any vertebrae present to be certain?

6981E4C0-9D7D-4FDA-907D-C85585603BC4.jpeg

Sure, 

70213FC1-4C74-4671-9BAD-E12A5E2FBE27.thumb.jpeg.b1a02ca166bc555ebd6fb6870550d3f3.jpeg

There seems to be no vertebrae present, or it could be buried under the sediment.

There are reports of fossil fish from the Tamán beds. Not much work has been done on these formations, unfortunately.

see the report here: Page 311 in the journal is 

Notes on some Mesozoic fossil fish remains from Mexico

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/39744993#page/361/mode/1up

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

5 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

There are reports of fossil fish from the Tamán beds. Not much work has been done on these formations, unfortunately.

see the report here: Page 311 in the journal is 

Notes on some Mesozoic fossil fish remains from Mexico

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/39744993#page/361/mode/1up

True, there have been fish remains found in the formations. I personally think my fossil is fish remains, but I am no expert. But I do think it looks unusual. It does quite resemble fossil feathers I have seen on the internet. Let’s see what other members have to say about this fossil.

I agree with CCK. 

Looks like a possible bivalve. 

My first impression was that it could be a rostroconch.   :shrug:  :headscratch::unsure: 

advanced_rostroconch.jpg

Image from HERE.

However, I'm not sure if they were around in the areas/time period mentioned. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

26 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I agree with CCK. 

My first impression was that it could be a rostroconch.

I would like to also, but this explanation for the odd symmetry puts the age in contradiction.

34 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I agree with CCK. 

My first impression was that it could be a rostroconch.   :shrug:  :headscratch::unsure: 

Image from HERE.

However, I'm not sure if they were around in the areas/time period mentioned. 

The formations @Ramon listed are Middle Mesozoic so probably not a Rostroconch which have a Cambrian through Permian stratigraphic range for anyone who doesn’t know.

• I found this Informative 2

I doubt it’s a bivalve, it’s too symetrical, and too flat to be a bivalve.

6 minutes ago, Ramon said:

too flat to be a bivalve

Unless it's a tangential section across the commissure in a situation where only a thin horizon was preserved.

Wow, we got people saying it’s a bivalve, others saying it’s fish remains or plant material. This fossil sure is mysterious!! :headscratch:

Alright, I did some digging and found "An overview of the Mexican fossil fish record" by Katia A. GONZÁLEZ-RODRÍGUEZ, Luis ESPINOSA-ARRUBARRENA and Gerardo GONZÁLEZ-BARBA. They state that the area around Tamazunchale actually has a lot of Paleogene freshwater deposits as well see 27, 28, 29 on their figure 8 with Tamazunchale marked by me. 5c2081cc0a569_ScreenShot2018-12-23at11_21_06PM.png.4281fb6bc967f0c04875e9e0bb588090.png

A quick excerpt from the paper:

"There are some other published records from the upper Pleistocene outcrops of Tlapacoya in the state of Mexico, from where ALVAREZ & MONCAYO (1976) described cranial bones of Notropis aztecus, Algansea ticella, Evarra sp. and various species of Chirostoma. In the state of Puebla, ESPINOSA-PÉREZ et al. (1991) reported the presence of a small cyprinid from the Oligocene Ahuehuetes locality in Tepexi de Rodríguez (Fig. 8: 30). CASTILLO-CERÓN et al. (1996) recovered numerous Miocene otoliths and scales from Zacualtipán, Hidalgo (Fig. 8: 29), and ALVARADO-ORTEGA et al. (2006b) described Ictiobus aguilerai from the Pliocene (Blancan) La Cementera locality near Tula, Hidalgo (Fig. 8: 27), where also Ictalurus sp. remains have been collected. Moreover, BECERRA-MARTÍNEZ (2002) reported Pliocene goodeids from the Atotonilco el Grande Formation in Hidalgo (Fig. 8: 28). As can be seen in this overview, the study of fossil freshwater fishes in Mexico is in its infancy. The challenge is to describe the emerging taxa and to unravel the evolutionary patterns that have been generated in the last 50 million years."

Ictiobus aguilerai looks like thisIctiobus_cyprinellus.jpg.59c96a2bc56589b8e4a33544e12c4767.jpg

but Ictalurus sp. was also collected nearby. This genus is a type of channel catfish that have a skeleton that looks like this 5c20800b39790_ScreenShot2018-12-23at11_41_51PM.png.7bb95226960eb10348cd1d59de55abd0.png

They have similar caudal fins to what can be seen in your specimen. 

• I found this Informative 2

take a peek at Tepexichthys in that very same paper

But I do have to say: I like your investigative endeavours and your inquiring mind:ighappy::dinothumb:

I can't believe i just posted that.

That's costume drama English:D

11 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

take a peek at Tepexichthys in that very same paper

But I do have to say: I like your investigative endeavours and your inquiring mind:ighappy::dinothumb:

I like the look of that one.

Knowledge is power!

15 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

IMO no fish.

I think ammonite aptychus.

Now we're getting somewhere.

That sounds more like it to me.