Is this stromatolite or a fossil?

Mykkhul97

17 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Just a patterned rock, I think, but a clearer photo might change my mind. 

With that clearer picture it is definitely not just a patterened rock:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

To me, it looks reminiscent of Bauxite but not quite exactly

D2BB5298-53E6-43C0-B037-66B88BEC822F.jpeg

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Actually, it looks like polished dinosaur bone.

2F13AE34-376A-4426-84A4-9C9F10E01F4F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

18 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

With that clearer picture it is definitely not just a patterened rock:ighappy:

Indeed! 

Actually looks like bone or wood in places. 

@Mykkhul97 any idea where it's from? 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The latter, reminds me of " Turritella agate . ;)

The correct name is " Elimia Agate ". (agatized fossils of the freshwater snail, Elimia tenera.)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, Mykkhul97 said:

South Dakota area along with this and a whole tub of slabbed pieces

Wow! That's beautiful. 

Gastropods. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The latter, reminds me of " Turritella agate . ;)

The correct name is " Elimia Agate ". (agatized fossils of the freshwater snail, Elimia tenera.)

Yup, here's some Elimia. (not in the agate!) 

Elimia.thumb.jpg.4b99cc39a32ba091fe5c0ed51170996b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yup, here's some Elimia. (not in the agate!) 

Really nice ones! Are they yours, Adam?

more information here

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just now, abyssunder said:

Really nice ones! Are they yours, Adam?

more information here

Indeed they are!:wub:

But I should have given credit to the delightful Doren @caldigger for having sent them to me. 

I do have a piece or two of the tumbled agate too, my name being A.Gate and all. 

But no photo just now. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed they are!:wub:

But I should have given credit to the delightful Doren @caldigger for having sent them to me. 

I do have a piece or two of the tumbled agate too, my name being A.Gate and all. 

But no photo just now. 

:dinothumb:

Thomas Mann

My Library

very cool pieces :dinothumb:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

14 hours ago, Scylla said:

By the way, stromatolites are usually fossils. 

I guess there are tracefossils (biogenic induced sedimentary structures (= same structures can be made by different organisms, and different structures can be made by the same organisms, depending on habitat parameters); parataxonomy, etc. pp.) ;)