Silica Hills, TX

TEM

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to collect brachipods and other inverts in the Silica Hills of West Texas?  I am a geologist who used to live In Austin, TX (20 years ago).  I recently asked some colleagues who did hydrogeologic and geologic fieldwork in west TX, but have not gotten any leads.  They say all(?) on private property.  This is a bucket list trip for a buddy of mine!!!

You talking about stuff like the Gaudalupe reef? Never heard of anything that was easily accessed. Everything out there is private or park. Not even BLM or Forest Service.

No, not the Guadalupe Reef.  I know some old timers who collected at Silica Hills on a Geology field trip years ago (W. TX Geol. Society?) and was hoping some nice private landowners might be out there.  Maybe fellow Texas Longhornss?

I don't know if "silica hills" is the same feature as the Glass Mountains, but I couldn't find access when I was there many years ago.  I found a football-size boulder in a culvert, and later I found a few things after acid reduction.  

brachiopodglassmtn.jpg

coralsolitarypermianglassmtns.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest