Cheap microscope for prepping

connorp

I’m curious if anyone has any recommendations on cheaper microscopes that would be good for finer prep work. I have seen some very cheap ($30 or so) digital microscopes on amazon that seem to get good reviews. But I’m not sure digital is the way to go. I can’t afford more than around $100 right now.

you should be able to find a used disecting scope for around $100

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have a Celestron 5 MP Handheld Digital Microscope Pro that I've been using for a couple of years.  Overall, I'm satisfied with it, but it has some weaknesses.  It is not really a zoom scope - it has two focal possibilities, something like 20x or 200x.  The depth of field is quite narrow and the boom stand included with mine is a bit sloppy.  But, I think I paid around $70 for it, and it is easy to take pictures with the software provided.  The light works fine, but lighting is tricky to get right.  You can take a look at my the pictures of conodonts to see what I have been able to do with it.  Most of the conodont pictures were taken at the higher magnification.  I recommend it, but with the reservations I have mentioned.

Russ

• I found this Informative 2