A nice carb hunt before Christmas

nala

1 hour ago, nala said:

IMG_0077.JPG

Wonderful photo. The tire tracks seem appropriate for a Carboniferous site, with their resemblance to leaves and bark. It looks like you did well on your hunt. Merry Christmas, Gery.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

34 minutes ago, nala said:

And it was possible to take a shower Roger

It rained, so your good on bathing for another month or so. :P

• I found this Informative 2

Merry Christmas to you, Geri!

Thanks for posting your fine report and wonderful finds!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Wonderful photo. The tire tracks seem appropriate for a Carboniferous site, with their resemblance to leaves and bark. It looks like you did well on your hunt. Merry Christmas, Gery.

Mike

I thought they looked like Arthropleura tracks which would also be consistent with the age.:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Man that is some gorgeous material you find there!!!!  It would be hard for me to chose which plate is my favorite...  Nice job hunting! :drool:

Fantastic find and photos as always Gery, Merry Christmas!! 

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Spectacular finds, as always. Wish I could get out an hunt this time of year but my local shale is not so good to work with when it is wet. Just falls apart! (There are times I have done it, even New Year's Eve once but the weather has to be unseasonally good.)

I guess tire tracks are going to be preserved in a number of places and will confuse future paleontologists! Not to mention shoe prints.

I love the variety of colours in your plant finds, Gery - simply beautiful!

Merry Christmas to you, too, by the way! :)

amazing amount of detail, and variety. does anyone unerstand the mechanism behind such beautiful plates...obviously not preserved from a mud slide which pushes sideways. these are all preserved as if in a flower press...so the burying matieral must have have come straight down, and upon live, healthy plants...these all look like they are still growing. So was it silt in water, or a falling of vulcanic ash..... Can someone fill me in on the proposed process. Thanks. Again, they are all gorgeous. 

Congratulations Gery. You collected some really nice ones. I love the preservation and detail in your specimens. Excuse me. What is that animal?

Apparently we have a different concept of "few good finds".  Looks like a lot of excellent finds to me!  :wub: :envy:

When I think of carb hunting at Christmas I think of something more tasty, but probably less healthy than a day spent hunting for fossils.

Don

Thanks Don,Jeffrey P(only few tracks on the neuropteris) ,one explanation is sometimes the plants were covered by water(the level made a lot of variation at these times )

formationducharbon1.jpg

formationducharbon6.jpg

Hey Geri, enjoyed seeing the latest!

Yes we had a bunch of rain as well a couple weeks ago and a few small tornadoes locally and have a fair share of mud still hanging around in low spots. As crazy as it sounds I have been outside in the warmth here in Florida the past couple of weekends with a pressure washer blasting off algae from the driveway/sidewalks...I'd rather have been fossil hunting!

Continued hunting success!

Happy New Year. 

Regards,  Chris