Plesiosaur femur or humurus?

Still_human

Can anyone tell if this is a plesiosaur femur or humurus? Or if not, have any thoughts on what it could be? From what I can tell it seems to have a slightly shorter/heavier curved length, and a more symmetrical curve than most plesiosaur bones Ive seen. I think it looks VERY close, but the slight differences I'm seeing are consistent with almost every plesiosaur bone I'm seeing, which makes me think the slight difference is a tell that it's not. Also, I don't see the ridges on any plesiosaur bones, but I don't know if that's natural to the bone, or from damage from fossilization at some point, but it does look natural to me. Sadly I do not know where it's from(yet), and I don't know yet if it starts to flatten towards one side, which I believe is an absolutely necessary feature. Hopefully I can find out and add that info, but I'd imagine it could still at least potentially be debunked as a plesiosaur bone in the meantime.

IMG_8834.thumb.PNG.e60b2e0431866bd3b0524e740f23c5db.PNG     IMG_8835.thumb.PNG.e26ea23896cb9e11c782e420844e5f21.PNG

IMG_8836.thumb.PNG.0d525e16cdfa6e75195769974260fe4f.PNG       IMG_8837.thumb.PNG.cf0ea01ead9a04674027103493151233.PNG

IMG_8838.thumb.PNG.73352213e790a75e72051113f94cdc2a.PNG

Looks more like a not so old, partial mammal scapula...not marine reptile.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ok, apparently there's traces of rust red kem kem looking matrix, and unfortunately that seems like it may be the best/only clue to its original location.

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Looks more like a not so old, partial mammal scapula...not marine reptile.

Really? That's quite a surprise! I'm not familiar with post much Mesozoic, especially mammals, so I definitely couldn't say, but he actually specializes in Pleistocene mammals...I don't known if he's a real "expert" though, so I couldn't put it past him not catching that, but the other main thing he works with is lots of Kem Kem stuff, so I wouldve thought he was familiar enough to differenciate them. 

Personally, i have to say it looks extremely Kem Kem to me, but my opinion isn't really worth a whole lot.

Does not look like any mammal scapula with that symmetry.

It does look like Kem Kem material, which does not have Plesiosaurs. But it's just beige enough that it might be from Khouribga. In which case it could be Plesiosaur. Regardless it looks like it's likely from Morocco especially if it's labeled as Plesiosaur.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

probably vertebra turtle no plesiosaur

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

On 12/25/2018 at 3:05 AM, jnoun11 said:

probably vertebra turtle no plesiosaur

What makes it look turtle to you? I looked up fossil turtle verts, and i saw a modern turtle with very similar looking verts, but without the ridge, but of the small amount of fossil turtle verts that came up, i DIDNT see any that looked similar, so I can't really make an educated opinion:/

i send you a picture of a thoracic vertebrae of miocene turtle for comparaison. the big ridge on middle ,the flat aspect.

Turtle-thoracic-vertebra-NMNZ-S50858-from-Early-Miocene-New-Zealand-in-left-lateral_Q320.jpg

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

12 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

i send you a picture of a thoracic vertebrae of miocene turtle for comparaison. the big ridge on middle ,the flat aspect.

Turtle-thoracic-vertebra-NMNZ-S50858-from-Early-Miocene-New-Zealand-in-left-lateral_Q320.jpg

That does look very similar! U said flat aspect though, but the fossil in question isn't flat, it's completely round at the edges, and with the exception of the ridges on both sides, is round through the middle too. Are the turtle verts flattened? That's a Miocene turtle picture, but what about Cretaceous turtles? Might their verts be the same, but rounded like this one?

If there's a ridge on both sides. That doesn't seem to point to an open neural canal. For the possibility of a vertebra, can you see if there's a possible neural canal visible somewhere?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite