Carmen

Hello fossil friends! I am very new to this world, my son and I started looking for geodes a few months ago and that has expanded into an amazing hobby, and a house full of rocks lol. I'm very intrigued with fossils/ bones but I don't know how to identify what we find! I'm pretty positive this is a tooth? Found in southwest Michigan, thanks in advance for any help!

20181224_222610.jpg

20181224_222318.jpg

Welcome to the forum!! 

Congrats, that’s a fossilized shark tooth!!

its probably a lemon shark tooth, but it may be too eroded for a positive id!! 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

36 minutes ago, Carmen said:

I'm pretty positive this is a tooth? Found in southwest Michigan,

Welcome to TFF!

It is a shark tooth that is very worn down.

It is also something not found in Michigan (geologically speaking) so must have been transported and dropped by someone.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

It is also something not found in Michigan (geologically speaking) so must have been transported and dropped by someone.

Congrats to this find!

Additionally to being a nicely worn shark tooth, it is more then "just" a fossil. It may have some human history sticking to it, as already said.

Do you know the exact cimcumstances of this find?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Wow thank you so much for all the replies! I found it while we were digging through a random mound of dirt next to the cemetery in our town. We think it was left over dirt from the new housing development nearby but I don't know that for sure. Thanks again for the help, I'm going to post a few of our other finds so we can hopefully get a better idea of what to look for, and what to leave behind! 

48 minutes ago, Carmen said:

What is a K-PG event?

One of several major extinction events that has occured in the known history of the earth.

K-PG occurred 65 million years ago and wiped out the dinosaurs. (also known as the C-T)

I have just recently started to research our earths history. I'm fascinated by the age, cycles and species this planet has seen! Thanks for the info and the theory! 

19 minutes ago, ynot said:

(also known as the C-T)

And sometimes as the K-T as well.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

18 minutes ago, ynot said:

wish they would standardize their terminologies!

DARE-event?? ;)

(Dino-Ammo-Rudi-Exctinction-event)

26 minutes ago, Carmen said:

I'm fascinated by the age, cycles and species this planet has seen!

Oh, yes! We are, too!

On 26.12.2018 at 2:44 AM, Carmen said:

I found it while we were digging through a random mound of dirt next to the cemetery in our town. We think it was left over dirt from the new housing development nearby but I don't know that for sure.

Thanks for the info! Hard to pin down the "history" of this tooth. It could be a pure random find (somebody has lost it), it could also hint to some kind of former settlement in this area. Some context would be needed (what else was found in the pile or at the presumend construction site etc.).

And this could have been really a "pocket tooth", @UtahFossilHunter

Franz Bernhard

4 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

And this could have been really a "pocket tooth"

Certainly looks worn like one:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

9 hours ago, Carmen said:

What is a K-PG event?

Also, @Rockwood was making a bad joke. Trying to say that it was ejected from the meteor hit in the yucatan peninsula and thrown to where You found it. (not even remotely possible.)

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Also, sagebrush steve was making a bad joke. Trying to say that it was ejected from the meteor hit in the yucatan peninsula and thrown to where You found it. (not even remotely possible.)

How do you figure that ? I'm sure I've already heard of a case where it was thought to be the only working explanation.

Or is that the case (Steve) you are referring to ? :)

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

How do you figure that ? I'm sure I've already heard of a case where it was thought to be the only working explanation.

Or is that the case (Steve) you are referring to ? :)

Sorry, dyslexia strikes again.:blush::P