BenHE

This is my first post here so I’m not exactly sure of the formats but I found a possible bone that I am unable to identify. I found this at Calvert Cliffs and have never found anything like it. It could just be a stone but it seems like a very unique shape and structure/composition. Ask if more images are needed because the end is broken off and the internal structure is complex.image.thumb.jpg.81936a6d7e9527269fce4d0cfcdedae2.jpg

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I really don’t know much about fossil bones and mostly look for shark teeth. However, last year I found an interesting object at Calvert Cliffs. At first I thought it was a rock, but it seems to be quite a unique shape and composition, so I am uncertain. I’d love someone to tell me if it is truly just a rock or if it’s a bone of some sort. I can take more pictures if needed. image.thumb.jpg.f8d907251a695a96c26c6627b1c9acd6.jpgThanks! 

It doesn’t look like a fossil, it looks like it might be a concretion.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Welcome to TFF!

You should post ID requests in the ID sub forum rather than the questions sub forum.

I agree with this being a concretion.

PS The mods. moved it while I was typing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Moved to Fossil ID.

I agree that this is more likely to be a concretion.

I see no bone texture.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It's basically an ironstone concretion. It's possible that it is a fossil burrow. Can you describe the texture of the center, or give us a better look ?

The topic of this thread is what I had in mind.

crab burrow

This is my best attempt at a better photo. The inside is quite rough. On the top there is another opening that is more hollowed out. The back side has more lumps than the front and is much less smooth.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, welcome to:tff:, i also think this is a concretion with an odd shape.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

another vote for concretion

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! It makes sense that it is a concretion and I’m happy that I now know for certain its origin.

12 minutes ago, Carl said:

I agree with ironstone concretion - doesn't pass the coprolite tests.

You licked it? :faint:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.