Calico Jack

After Christmas morning everyone was preoccupied with their new gifts, so I slipped out of the house for a couple of hours to visit the Cole Hill Road site in hopes of finding a nice Christmas dipleura. The site was covered in snow and I had to hack away a large amount of frozen overburden. Overall, the rock was fairly barren until the last slab I turned over. Underneath that slab was a complete, prone D. dekayi! Unfortunately it turned into a bit of a jigsaw puzzle upon extraction despite my best efforts and I believe a couple fragments of the pygidium were lost in the slush and mud.

L --> R In situ, fossil with scale, the fossil in full view, Cole Hill Rd. site covered with snow- I was digging on the shelf between the two cliffs

I'll post more pictures once the jigsaw puzzle is reassembled and the fossil is prepped.

IMG_9257.JPG.177ba63352c311184bf51a784e0b7653.JPGIMG_9268.JPG.4aa0689d6df0b00bffb4c14581ef4f07.JPGIMG_9269.thumb.JPG.ea5172252f5f776672622f9dc92f6937.JPGIMG_9265.JPG.c91fb04751ba269f71add968f73ca8bd.JPG

Edited by Calico Jack
  • I found this Informative 8

Congratulations on a Great Christmas find! I Love Cole Hill but don't you feel just a wee bit guilty for leaving your family to fossilhunt on Christmas? Lol:P

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That is some hardcore fossil hunting.

Great find. Thanks for posting.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Wow, you’re starting to make me get cabin-fever. :ighappy: that’s a great find!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Extreme fossil hunting at its best and a very nice Christmas gift ta boot! Congratulations on a great find. You can be sure I'll be there too when the snow melts in the spring. Thanks for sharing.

Dude no way!!!!! What a find I’m so jelly! :envy:Now your gonna make me have to go hunt there ASAP!! I just went there the beginning of November for the first time. I found a little baby dipleura. Were you working the shelf half way up the exposure? 

5 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Dude no way!!!!! What a find I’m so jelly! :envy:Now your gonna make me have to go hunt there ASAP!! I just went there the beginning of November for the first time. I found a little baby dipleura. Were you working the shelf half way up the exposure? 

Yep! I was digging on the shelf about halfway between the first and second cliffs

What a great find! Pity that a few of the pygidium pieces were lost, but it is still effectively complete (Dipleura prones are quite lovely). I admire your dedication to go out collecting in the snow... Are you sure you're not Canadian? :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Calico Jack it's always that last piece isn't it. Wish I could have went out on Christmas, my Grandmothers house is half an hour from Calvert but I can't drive yet legally so i'm out of luck.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!