Dear Guys,

I recently got a new camera and made the better pictures of all my lungfish dental plates. There are some families identified but I would be very happy to discuss with you about unidentified specimens and features of each dental plate, maybe some of you would know genera of these finds? :)

The age of fossils is Devonian- Early Carboniferous, they are found in Lithuanian erratics (the majority in marine dolomite and some in shallow marine sandstone). 

The smallest find is 1,5 mm length and the largest is 1,2 cm length. 

Please tell your opinion about identifications of these finds, any help will be very appreciated because it would be great material for publication :)

The first fossils I show are holodipterid dental plates. The main feature- merged tooth rows with poorly visible odontodes in the top. :)

4-7 mm length.  

holodontidae tooth 1.jpg

holodontidae tooth 2.jpg

holodontidae tooth 3.jpg

holodontidae tooth 4.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The second group is stomiahykid dental plates (1,5 mm- 1,2 cm length). The main feature is more crimson lower corners of tooth plates, the odontodes are usually ball shaped and rarely more crimson. :)

stomiahykidae tooth 1.jpg

stomiahykidae tooth 2.jpg

stomiahykidae tooth 3.jpg

stomiahykidae tooth 4.jpg

stomiahykidae tooth 5.jpg

stomiahykidae tooth 6.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The third group (Dipterids). they have specific oblong dental plates in lower jaw and there (except Conchodus) usually are many tooth rows. :)

The first dental plate (identified as Conchodus) is 5 mm length, the other is 3 mm length and incomplete. :)  

conchodus tooth 1.jpg

dipteridae tooth 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The fourth group is Chirodipterids. The dental plates have more oblong rectangular shape with horizontal lower edge, odontodes are visible in upper half of surface. 

The both dental plates are 5 mm length. :)

chirodipteridae tooth 1.jpg

chirodipteridae tooth 2.jpg

The fifth group is Phaneropleurids. Triangular shape of dental plates is common, similar as Harajicadipterus. :)

The size of dental plate is 7 mm length. 

phaneropleuridae tooth 1.jpg

The sixth group- possible stem Lepidosireniformes. I saw in wikipedia that they appeared about 400 million years ago and I have found two dental plates with sharp tooth rows similar as Gnathorhiza, however there are five rows when Gnathoriza has 3 rows. But I think the ancestry is possible. :) The both dental plates are 3-4 mm length. 

lepidosireniformes ancestor 1.jpg

lepidosireniformes ancestor 2.jpg

Neat! You seem to have documented very well the Lithuanian Devo-Carbo lungfish fauna :) Looking forward to some more updates!

-Christian

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

The other type is specific tooth plates from lower jaw. the size is between 3 and 7mm length. :)

lepidosireniformes ancestor 3.jpg

possible sagenodontidae tooth 1.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth 2.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth x.jpg

The other toothplate- Ctenodus sensu strictos in better quality! :D 6 mm length.

ctenodus lungfish tooth.jpg

ctenodus tooth 2.jpg

And the last are unidentified- from 3 mm to 1 cm length, the genera or families would be helpful. :)

unidentified lungfish tooth 3.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth 5.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth 6.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth 7.jpg

unidentified lungfish tooth 8.jpg

Notice that 4 th unidentified dental plate has thickest tooth row in short edge! :D It would be interesting to know which genera it would be typical to. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Dear Christian and Doushantuo,

Thank you very much for kind answers, I wish there could be someone who knows fossil lungfishes good in this forum! :D

Merry Christmas to you! :)

These are really cool specimens! I cant help with I'd though either sorry, all I know is the ones I find (very rarely) in the Upper Carboniferous formation I hunt are usually a Ctenodus sp. if the ridges are parallel and a Sagenodus sp. if they are radiating.