Wightlight

I've been looking at this tooth which is labeled as Deltadromeus agilis from the Kem Kem Basin by the seller. I know labeling teeth as Deltadromeus is iffy due to the lack of skull material, so does anyone have an idea of a possible classification for it? I've tried looking at Troodon's Kem Kem theropod teeth guide but haven't managed to make an ID. Any help would be appreciated!

deltadromeus.PNG

deltadromeus1.PNG

deltadromeus2.PNG

Probably more accurate is Carcharodontosaurus (or cf. Carcharodontosaurus if you want to be fancy) just due to the lack of any known skull material from deltadromeus. I have a Carch tooth similar in size and shape. Also I don't know of any specific characteristics unique to Delta teeth when compared to Carch.

• I found this Informative 1

My first thought was carcharodontosaurus, but this does have some of the characteristics of what others are calling delta teeth. Primarily the curve in the carinae. I'll post up a few photos of my "delta" tooth for you to compare to if you'd like

5 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Probably more accurate is Carcharodontosaurus (or cf. Carcharodontosaurus if you want to be fancy) just due to the lack of any known skull material from deltadromeus. I have a Carch tooth similar in size and shape. Also I don't know of any specific characteristics unique to Delta teeth when compared to Carch.

Yeah, Carcharodontosaurid did cross my mind, but it seems to lack the "wrinkles" near the bottom (though I'm unsure if they're present on all Carch teeth)

4 minutes ago, Captcrunch227 said:

My first thought was carcharodontosaurus, but this does have some of the characteristics of what others are calling delta teeth. Primarily the curve in the carinae. I'll post up a few photos of my "delta" tooth for you to compare to if you'd like

Sure, anything helps!

15 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

Agreed. Carchardontosaurus cf. is how I would label it. Trying to ID a tooth to Deltadromeus is a shot in the dark right now because no skull has been found. I believe at one point there was even debate on if it were a herbivore so who knows what these teeth are suppose to look like.

To me, this tooth looks like the typical Carchardontosauridae teeth coming out of there because of the robustness.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Captcrunch227 said:

Thanks! That is pretty similar, especially the curved carinae as you mentioned.

I'm mainly wondering if it's Carcharodontosaurid, Abelisaurid or Neovenatorid (or a fourth option) 

No problem, happy to help. I've yet to see a tooth labeled carcharodontosaurus that has the curve. They may indeed exist, I'm not aware of one though. 

Ultimately if it's a good deal snag it. At worst it's a beautiful carcharodontosaurus tooth, at best we find out in the future it's a new species. Theropod teeth have a special place in my heart 

• I found this Informative 1

It looks too robust to be a Deltadromeus.

Captcrunch227's tooth looks closer to the ones I've seen identified as Deltadromeus by Troodon and George Corneille.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

More accurate ID will be Carcharodontosauria indet., since there were 2 different Carcharodontosaurids in Kem Kem and their teeth were very similar (at least no teeth were found associated with Sauroniops pachytholus holotype, same with Deltadromeus - and there are still debates about its taxonomy).

The Tooth Fairy