Potential Mississippian shark teeth from sulphur Indiana

Fossil Claw

the teeth are not common there. good find

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Sorry I didnt get back to you in time for your trip. It seems you two had an amazing hunt though. Ill send you some information so your next hunt in that area is more productive.

...I'm back.

Cleaned up, now I’m doubting tooth more on the second one.  I’d expect enamel to have more of a porcelaneous luster.  Looks like your tooth bragging rights are fully self earned, a cool thing in a part of the country where vert remains are sparse.

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Cleaned up, now I’m doubting tooth more on the second one.  I’d expect enamel to have more of a porcelaneous luster.  Looks like your tooth bragging rights are fully self earned, a cool thing in a part of the country where vert remains are sparse.

I need to get a picture of it in better light.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Archie said:

Cool tooth! Looks like Petalodus, nice association piece with the Blastoid! Agree the second doesn't look like a tooth

thank you.

some better photos of the second "tooth"

Still not sure what it might be.

DSC03048.JPG

DSC03050.JPG

DSC03051.JPG

DSC03053.JPG

Glad to help. The second does bear a resemblance to certain Holocephalan teeth like those of Deltodus but a clearer photo of the surface would be needed to make a better judgement. Is the surface covered in tiny pits under magnification and does it appear to be composed of a different material than the bryozoans and other fossils on the plate? Could be wrong but it looks like calcite in the photo. 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Glad to help. The second does bear a resemblance to certain Holocephalan teeth like those of Deltodus but a clearer photo of the surface would be needed to make a better judgement. Is the surface covered in tiny pits under magnification and does it appear to be composed of a different material than the bryozoans and other fossils on the plate? Could be wrong but it looks like calcite in the photo. 

here are a couple photos from a microscope camera.

tooth2.jpg

Thanks for the new pics, unfortunately it appears not to be a tooth as there are no dentine tubules. Heres a tooth plate of Psephodus magnus on which they are quite easy to see for reference. Where there's one there's more though so good luck finding more in the future!   

IMGP6218.thumb.jpg.0d1f26d737eecbb7447fa402e48c0fe0.jpg

• I found this Informative 2