Possible root fossil?

daniiy01

Hello guys, I would like to ask you about one fossil that I found the last summer in Huelva (Spain), lower pliocene. In the area, I found bivalves, thalassinoides, gyrolithes and some crab rest. But the thing that most impressed me was the next. I asked in a Spain forum and someone told me that could be a root, but I can not find information about it on the Internet.

The dark brown part is very sensitive to touch, melts to the touch.

Thanks you, 

Daniel.

img_2014.jpg

img_2013.jpg

img_2011.jpg

img_2012.jpg

Video: 

Edited by daniiy01

I think this topic should be moved to Fossil ID category. If someone can do it...

Sorry. :(

Edited by daniiy01

27 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks man-made to me.

Can't be. Like I said, the zone was full of fossils and difficult to access. It looks like iron / screw and I have verified that it is not metal, and like I said, the material is very soft.

40 minutes ago, daniiy01 said:

Can't be. Like I said, the zone was full of fossils and difficult to access. It looks like iron / screw and I have verified that it is not metal, and like I said, the material is very soft.

Is it possible that it's a sedimentary cast with mold? Even though the area is now deserted, there may have been human activity there in the past. How did you verify that it's not metal?

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Is it possible that it's a sedimentary cast with mold? Even though the area is now deserted, there may have been human activity there in the past.

Could be.. I don't know... Remembering...we also found an ancient coin in the area but I still think it's probably a fossil, but I have no idea... I think that if it were something human, it would not be covered with stone, and all the fossils I fould were full of that kind of stone... I'm very curious :headscratch:

By the way,  thanks for your replies. :)

10 minutes ago, daniiy01 said:

Could be.. I don't know... Remembering...we also found an ancient coin in the area but I still think it's probably a fossil, but I have no idea... I think that if it were something human, it would not be covered with stone, and all the fossils I fould were full of that kind of stone... I'm very curious :headscratch:

By the way,  thanks for your replies. :)

I'm thinking ancient drill hole filled with sediment.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm thinking ancient drill hole filled with sediment.

But that form so similar to that of a screw unbalances me... Also I thought in Nerinea gigantea but I don't think so...

I agree with Ludwigia, this is a man made iron object that has rusted to limonite. The iron cemented the sand around it as it rusted away.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.