Red Dirt, Blue Scorpions, Yellow Rock, and other Colorful Oddities

DeepTimeIsotopes

Another snow storm has swept through here  so how about we take a trip to Southern Utah in mid-June. I will be straightforward with you, I didn’t get many fossils from this trip but if you would like to hear my tale of woe read on!

C989B251-4CF8-4879-8827-C296C1C415D2.thumb.jpeg.073e496c62d39308882c37164f28e43d.jpeg

Let’s start out with the stratigraphy column. You’ll notice most of it is red. If you’ve read some of my other trip reports you’ll probably know what that means, no fossils to report from this area. My structural geologist buddies had a blast, though, so beware a lot structural and sedimentary geology ahead. I’ll save talking about the Wahweap Formation for the end.

• I found this Informative 3

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

We spent a total of 7 days in this area called the Parowan Gap. The feature itself is this72E9D664-EDBF-48B5-A2AB-DC2CEE145A9B.thumb.jpeg.f53ce8b903d9c898413535953382b306.jpeg

That “V” shaped notch is the “Gap”. It is not man made but rather an artifact of erosion from a stream. You can tell it wasn’t man made because inside it is the famous Parowan Gap Petroglyphs.

• I found this Informative 6

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Here are some of those petroglyphs.

ADFB2750-5EE5-4BC1-A9AC-04EAF1F1755C.thumb.png.079cb8dee8e7f0a57843e326a7a39432.png

• I found this Informative 10

The rock they are carved in is the Navajo Sandstone. While in some places around the state, it contains dinosaur fossils it’s quite barren here.

175BAAF5-6E25-4F21-A4E3-BBD0A0E5061A.png

• I found this Informative 7

The petroglyphs themselves are where the Native Americans had scraped away the dark, weathered surface called desert varnish.

57280CBD-E650-485B-A98B-A08BC738023F.png

If you want to know what they mean you’ll just have to visit.:muahaha:

F3A2BF21-F63E-4628-B228-664E7481D6C7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

While petroglyphs are nice, they aren’t what we’re here for after all this is the Fossil Forum right? So here’s a view from the top of the ‘Gap on top of the Navajo Sandstone fossil-less as usual.

18AD3DF7-8EB7-4E9F-A540-D1CCCC175FC8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Looking back at the area I spent 168 hours living in.

414C1C40-8208-4616-8D08-A746F7770507.jpeg

Alright, let’s get down in the valley and take a look at a bit of the Carmel Formation.

Wow! Lots of fossil-less but sublime areas. Must indeed be a geologist’s heaven. Pretty amazing that those carvings have survived the desert so long.

Scorpions? :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

The sedimentary structures in here are called cross bedding. These indicate high energy streams where the currents have dropped sand and then cut those deposits and then dropped out sand again.

0334A9D0-5279-4C12-869D-B337FD4FCAD3.png

5 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Wow! Lots of fossil-less but sublime areas. Must indeed be a geologist’s heaven. Pretty amazing that those carvings have survived the desert so long.

Scorpions? :popcorn:

We’re getting there;)

Only the living in the Carmel here.

F77D9C45-5443-4749-83C8-74F5D3519CB5.png

• I found this Informative 2

How about a moment to appreciate some micro-fractures in the Carmel? Can you spot them? This area is highly faulted so these things are all over the place.

575F342A-8226-4B78-8078-A7709E34F76D.png

I had brought a black light in case the scorpions decided to join our campsite and they certainly did. If you are camping in the American Southwest consider buying a black light to spot these guys because they are very well camoflaged in regular visible light. 

EBABF65C-6E39-4661-8994-5383A361CD33.png

• I found this Informative 8

A fault had brought the Carmel and Navajo up next to the Claron Formation so we moved to that area next. 

22CD5A81-06EA-468B-AFCB-255B310F9BDA.png

Also in other places around the state the Claron holds Cenozoic marine fossils but not here. But you know what it does make is this extremely red dirt. This is what I imagine what dirt on Mars looks like.

322728D3-5E67-4101-A2DD-FB722708C54E.png

Some nice spring desert flowers had popped up though

AB864B53-FB91-4189-9C14-CE232205BBF9.png

At the top of the Claron there is this view.

6006FE96-76E4-484F-BB28-68BC8325D8F0.png

The stratigraphy was very nice in some areas with flat lying layers as here in the Straight Cliffs.

CC5794D3-AA57-482B-9B64-3F5C9E5CFE13.png

But not so everywhere just look at this massive fold in some Claron Formation

57B16250-F449-42D0-B495-9D8A58E4269A.png

And this upturned Straight Cliffs

1DCDBD47-A1BA-44D3-914D-67B0F8C42ECE.png

How about a bit of braided stream deposits? The pebble horizons are from when large amounts of water flowed down the stream and brought gravel down from higher elevations. After a while, the stream would calm down and only bring down sand. Then the stream would speed up and the cycle continues.

0B6A7ED8-3B14-4A4D-BCB9-C32F18129901.png

very cool report, interesting area. Do you have any fossils to show

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks