Red Dirt, Blue Scorpions, Yellow Rock, and other Colorful Oddities

DeepTimeIsotopes

1 minute ago, Herb said:

very cool report, interesting area. Do you have any fossils to show

Alright, the moment you’ve been waiting for. The Upper Iron Springs or Wahweap Formation. Some nice big dinosaur tracks.

0F3FA5F2-FA28-40A2-94D5-127D7A5D083B.png

• I found this Informative 9

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

6C9FCF50-AF95-42A1-AC44-E8F22A5416C5.png

• I found this Informative 4

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

FD7B3AC5-8369-46C0-9EF4-F743D4F72439.thumb.png.ef9f8384b473d1043a608bdb2d0c18a5.png

1D9CB24F-72B2-4D1E-A104-ED355D24E0C2.thumb.png.738cc5ae00c369ee018ffda86fd616d3.png

• I found this Informative 8

The Wahweap is famous for its dinosaur remains found in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The prints are probably from something like this. 43E5FB9A-4B87-4BC3-B649-D774F064587C.jpeg.bc6f6bd268deb7c4ab5b164b7c4cd0c8.jpeg

picture from https://alchetron.com/Acristavus

Here is a paper about the Ornithopods around here. Link

• I found this Informative 5

I’ll end this off with a picture of the Wahweap Formation outcrop. Thanks for reading.

D901BE74-4F01-4F6A-BC5B-CA1F4A8AE765.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

A panoramic pic I forgot to addE20DA0B4-5C4F-4E4F-A36C-E6882899244D.png.b6ca4feb29acc366bc1af91a3c29c459.png

• I found this Informative 5

Thx for taking us along on your trip with al those beautiul pictures :D

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

3 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

Thx for taking us along on your trip with al those beautiul pictures :D

You’re welcome! I like sharing them:dinothumb:

28 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Great report! Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing all this. Looks like you had a great time!

Thank you. I did have a great time! Even though we didn’t find much.

25 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Awesome report

Thanks!

Excellent report and very educational of these geologic features. The entire Rocky Mountains, from north to south, are one of the most beautiful features on our planet.

Thanks for showing this.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

21 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Excellent report and very educational of these geologic features. The entire Rocky Mountains, from north to south, are one of the most beautiful features on our planet.

Thanks for showing this.

I try to add a little bit extra to teach someone something or at least remind myself of the things I learned on each trip.

59 minutes ago, ynot said:

Wonderful report!

Almost feel like I was there.

Thanks! You’ll have to stop by for real sometime.:dinothumb:

Beautiful pics and scenery, thanks for sharing :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

On 29.12.2018 at 5:57 AM, ynot said:

Almost feel like I was there.

Thats true!
Thank you so much for taking me/us to Utah again! Great trip, great report!
Franz Bernhard

Just looking at the tracks I would have not been able to tell they are even tracks without the help of the little sign. I guess it is due to erosion and damage done to it.

Bummer there are no fossils. It’s crazy how something like a footprint can be preserved, but then not many bones were in that area. 

I love the scenery. It’s beautiful.

I am spoiled with having grown up seeing these types of tracks here in Texas.

I went ant to see them on October 28, 2018.

This one is maybe 15 inches long. There is another at the same site that is maybe 22 inches or so long from another genus.

EF72EC0C-47AB-42A6-AB33-D15E71811867.jpeg.47163627e283667331d71be65dadc762.jpeg

You can kind of see the left right footprint sequence in this shot. These are from the Glen Rose, TX area. There are tracks for maybe 200 yards of I think 2 types of dinos.

180C45E2-E97A-42CE-B34F-74DFDE5B664A.jpeg.7f66192ce131c896f5393a079c6a69ca.jpeg

18 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Just looking at the tracks I would have not been able to tell they are even tracks without the help of the little sign. I guess it is due to erosion and damage done to it.

Bummer there are no fossils. It’s crazy how something like a footprint can be preserved, but then not many bones were in that area. 

I love the scenery. It’s beautiful.

I am spoiled with having grown up seeing these types of tracks here in Texas.

I went ant to see them on October 28, 2018.

This one is maybe 15 inches long. There is another at the same site that is maybe 22 inches or so long from another genus.

EF72EC0C-47AB-42A6-AB33-D15E71811867.jpeg.47163627e283667331d71be65dadc762.jpeg

You can kind of see the left right footprint sequence in this shot. These are from the Glen Rose, TX area. There are tracks for maybe 200 yards of I think 2 types of dinos.

That’s really cool.:dinosmile: Thanks for sharing! Tracks aren’t uncommon here but almost all of them are in Eastern and Southern Utah. Your first one has some good definition in it. The ones I showed are from the bottom of the prints looking up which is probably why it’s not as well defined, whereas yours is looking from the top down. Either way, track ways are cool!

Thanks for the lovely report, I love the petroglyphs! Brings back fond memories of time I spent in the San Rafael Swell 10 years ago. I appreciate the explanations of geological phenomena as well. 

13 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

Thanks for the lovely report, I love the petroglyphs! Brings back fond memories of time I spent in the San Rafael Swell 10 years ago. I appreciate the explanations of geological phenomena as well. 

San Rafael Swell is a gorgeous area. Maybe you’ll have to come back sometime.;)

I love the American Southwest... Thanks for this sunny virtual field trip in the middle of a miserable, rainy winter up here!

I appreciate rock formations as much as fossils too, though you generally can't collect them!

When you see a sign like that one in your last pic, does that mean that area is protected in some kind of park - as in "no collecting"? Is everything you have shown within BLM land?