January 2019 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

I’ve never posted a vertebrate fossil of the month so bear with me.

• Date of Discovery: January 12, 2019
  • Scientific and/or Common Name: Bison sp. Most likely Bison bison.
  • Geologic Age: Pleistocene 
  • State: Collin County Texas

I actually discovered parts of the skeleton in June 2018, but thought it was a cow. 1/12/19 I found out it was a bison and immediately drove back out there to see if any of it was still there. 7 months later, numerous flooding events. This is what I saw when I arrived. I thought it would all be washed away.

The skull, thoracic vertebrae on left and cervical vertebrae on right and a femur, tibia and radius further to the right in the bank.

046B76B4-B6C2-4091-93CD-632E3610B453.thumb.jpeg.4191093300460d260b847dc05ac7f50b.jpeg

Cervical vertebrae in situ

35179282-7D72-41A4-8CB3-82AF09417586.jpeg.9690588144e76f7ac586550c9e8fb08c.jpeg

Fully articulated left left rear leg. Pelvis and femur all the way down to the phalanx (hooves). Tibia on right. Metatarsal straight ahead and foot on the left. Sorry for the blurry pic.

IMG_8515.jpg.f215352a5fc7e74e0c8d7806134bbda6.jpg

Most of the bones excluding the skull, 3 vertebrae, 2 scapula and a number of rib pieces and lots of bone fragments. Many to the vert spinous processes.

28E21410-F506-4DE1-95EA-0D2D1EF84BD1.thumb.jpeg.a0f5f6ee50abfb8ede550d640580f824.jpeg

Shoot! I forgot to put the mandible in the pick. You can see it and more in the link. Also, one of the femurs appears to have canid ( Canine) bite marks that ripped of the left knee cap and part of the condyle. So predations marks.

Recovered 

Skull with mandibles and teeth

2 femurs

1 tibia

1 metatarsal with associated feet and tarsal bones plus a number of other lower leg bones for right leg

2 humeri 

2 radius with ulnas

2 metacarpals

2 scapulas

Pelvis

11 thoracic vertebra

5 lumbar vertebra 

6 cervical vertebra including atlas and axis

3 caudal verts might be classifying one wrong.

Sacrum

A number of rib fragments and 1 whole rib.

I am missing the tibia and a metatarsal. I think I may be able to find those and some feet bones.

LINK to one of the topics about this find.

That’s my entry. It’s the find of a lifetime for me.

• I found this Informative 13

26 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

@KimTexan that must have taken forever cleaning and organizing all those bones!! Labor of love :hammer01:. Nice job!! 

I still have a lot of work to do. I think cleaning the mud off took me about the same amount of time as it took to extract them. I must say though they’re so easy to clean compared to other stuff I collect.

I need to start stabilizing them and gluing them back together. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, Al Tahan said:

Here is my FOTM entry! I’m going to join Kane on the trilobite train :). I finally figured out this is a Kainops invius trilobite (no pun intended haha). 

I found this on January 9th 2019 and prepped it on January 26th 2019. 

Kainops invius

Geologic formation: Bois D’Arc Formation 

Geologic age: Lower Devonian 

Wow! it is a beauty and nice prep work.

Here is a shark tooth I found this month while sieving matrix collected last year.

This one I am not sure if it is pathological or positional as the side cusps are not sharp and pronounced as in previous specimens and quite rare at the best of times.

My understanding is this is the earliest example of this species so an interesting find.

Date of discovery - 11-1-19 

Scientific name -Johnlongia sp 

Geologic age - Albian cretaceous

Formation - toolebuc

Site - Central Queensland Australia

Longest side is 6 mm or 1/2 inch so quite small

Mike 

Johnlongia sp bottom 11-1-19.jpg

Johnlongia sp side 11-1-19.jpg

Johnlongia sp top 11-1-19.jpg

Edited by Mike from North Queensland
dimentions added
  • I found this Informative 9

20 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Here is a shark tooth I found this month while sieving matrix collected last year.

This one I am not sure if it is pathological or positional as the side cusps are not sharp and pronounced as in previous specimens and quite rare at the best of times.

My understanding is this is the earliest example of this species so an interesting find.

Date of discovery - 11-1-19 

Scientific name -Johnlongia sp 

Geologic age - Albian cretaceous

Formation - toolebuc

Site - Central Queensland Australia

Nice specimen! Good job finding that one :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Nice shark tooth. Very unusual shape compared to most modern day shark teeth. What's the overall length on that tooth? Hard to judge with no scale.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice tooth!

Just a note for US readers: the rest of the world rather logically enters dates as day/month/year, so Mike's tooth was collected Jan 11 2019, and so is "in date" for the contest.

Don

27 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just a note for US readers: the rest of the world rather logically enters dates as day/month/year

Indeed! That and our incomplete acceptance of the metric system have been a source of personal shame at a global level for decades. For dates, I personally use YYYY-MM-DD as an unambiguous date format that sorts better on computers as a bonus.

Well noted that this lovely specimen is "in date" and not the result of Marty McFly time travel (which would allow some stunning fossils to be entered if used properly). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just a note for US readers: the rest of the world rather logically enters dates as day/month/year, so Mike's tooth was collected Jan 11 2019, and so is "in date" for the contest.

Don

US military generally writes dates as 31Jan19, so they are on the same page at least. :ighappy:

Here's my entries for fossil of the month! First my invertebrate entry, a Lower Carboniferous hashplate with two crinoid cups and an orthocone, also just noticed today that theres an Archaeocidaris sp. echinoid tooth alongside the orthocone :D The plate is 112mm x 97mm.

Date of discovery - 28/01/19

Scientific name - Fifeocrinus tielensis, Archaeocidaris sp., Orthoceras sp? Ureocrinus sp?

Geologic age - Lower Carboniferous, Visean

Formation - BlackHall Limestone, Scottish Lower Limestone Formation

Site - Seafield, Scotland

IMGP6814.JPG

IMGP6815.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

And my vertebrate entry, a nice sized at 22mm x 23mm Saivodus striatus shark tooth found the same day:

Date of discovery - 28/01/19

Scientific name - Saivodus striatus

Geologic age - Lower Carboniferous, Visean

Formation - BlackHall Limestone, Scottish Lower Limestone Formation

Site - Seafield, Scotland

IMGP6816.JPG

IMGP6818.JPG

IMGP6811.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

44 minutes ago, Archie said:

Here's my entries for fossil of the month!

Nice fossils; both the vertebrate and the invertebrate!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

29 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Nice fossils; both the vertebrate and the invertebrate!

-Christian

Thanks! :)