Silicate veins in coral?

wendyeeeo

I found these in Lubbock, TX in an area having lots of ammonite fossils. These feel more like a skeleton of silica or something. And they have a blueish tint. Any ideas?

D4B83385-FDFD-4C82-A7C9-C4394CBB95D2.jpeg

Any chance you can get closer pictures? Im having a hard time identifying the structures you're referencing in your post. 

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

I'm not seeing anything fossil related in these pictures. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

49 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'm not seeing anything fossil related in these pictures. :unsure: 

I agree with Tim. It could be the result of mineral growth within gas pockets over time.

...I'm back.

They look like eroded limestone pieces, to me.

eroded-limestone-creek-bed-along-260nw-340021874.jpg.3fb66223233117b50f9af77b0f6393d3.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I will combine the circular shapes in the first post, the general appearance of the second, and my experience with poor preservation at one of my favorite spots, and say they are crinoid columnals.

By the way it's my favorite because there are rare occurrences of spectacular preservation as silisified fossils in carbonate matrix.

I'm not familiar with the area, but in a search of mine, Lubbock county doesn't show up sediments older than late Triassic, also I can't recognise crinoid columnals (or pluricolumnals) in the pictures posted. Knowing from which deposit they came from may rule out some hypothesis. :)

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

25 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I'm not familiar with the area, but in a search of mine, Lubbock county doesn't show up sediments older than late Triassic,

And this is a problem for a crinoid ID in what way ?

26 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

And this is a problem for a crinoid ID in what way ?

Maybe I'm not looknig it right, but I can't recognize the joined patterns of crinoid columnals.

Why do you think there might be crinoid remains?

Thomas Mann

My Library

27 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe I'm not looknig it right, but I can't recognize the joined patterns of crinoid columnals.

Why do you think there might be crinoid remains?

The number of concentric circles which seem to be slightly lighter shaded between them with a dark center. 

Another argument would be the nature of the rock. It looks very similar to many in the area that the example I posted was found some of which contain recognizable fossils and therefore not the sort of sediment that would seem likely to preserve bubbles.  

I see some bryozoa in the L center

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

my bad Rockwood, I was looking at the pix you posted.  :doh!: I do not see any fossils in Wendyeeeo's pix

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

7 hours ago, Herb said:

my bad Rockwood, I was looking at the pix you posted.  :doh!: I do not see any fossils in Wendyeeeo's pix

Then oops again. :doh!:

That's heliolitid coral.