NE Texas fossil hunting

Dustinwolfe82

Ok this may be a stupid question but I’ve only been hunting and researching for about 2 weeks. So I live in the NE Texas area and I’m trying to find what sort of fossils are going to be readily available. I’m assuming that since this area was mostly underwater for millions of years, the majority of the fossils in this area are aquatic Cretaceous. Is that a fair evaluation? I know every area has it’s common fossil and species, I’m just trying  to figure out what mine is. Please forgive me if this is a common question but I feel the only dumb question is the one never asked. I’ve done sports memorabilia for 20 years and I know how it is when a newbie starts asking all sorts of common questions. I then remember I was there once.

Edited by Dustinwolfe82

Not a stupid question at all.

It's best to consult a Geologic map of the State.

You can figure out where your location shows up in whatever color (exposures of that time period. ) 

texas92a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No shortage of geology or fossils in TX

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks