Is there an online read for preserving fossils

Kato

I have managed to find some fossils I want to preserve such as these ferns and some cordaites. As best as I can read online it seems these should not be cleaned to ensure to not ruin them. Or is that wrong? Is there something to soak them in that won't harm them? Afterwards, what is best to preserve them with? Should they be kept away from sunlight to reduce fading?

Basically, would anyone recommend a link or two to read to keep these looking nice.

Thank you, Kato

=====================

Ferns

image.thumb.png.48a9f64cd1af03cda0dc00723ea4e80c.png

Cordaite with multi-color staining from different oxidization rates from pyritization???

image.thumb.png.349340c3a638159e83f7820ad743f506.png

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think you need to coat them with anything, just leave them as they are and keep them in a drawer or display case to keep dust off them, and they should be fine indefinitely. On the other hand, if you're going to let a lot of people handle them repeatedly then it couldn't hurt to do what Ludwigia suggests. (Kids will touch every surface and details are lost and finger grease/etc. eventually builds up - but hopefully anyone picking them up will know to handle them by the edges!)

I don't see any obvious pyrite in them so I don't think you have to worry about pyritization.

Where did you find them, somewhere in NM?

Maybe this thread could be of use

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

If they have pyrite associated with them, I would not just leave them be. Very little pyrite is stable over long periods and almost never the types associated with fossils.

I would apply Paraloid. As in the post mentioned by @UtahFossilHunter

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I don't think you need to coat them with anything, just leave them as they are and keep them in a drawer or display case to keep dust off them, and they should be fine indefinitely. On the other hand, if you're going to let a lot of people handle them repeatedly then it couldn't hurt to do what Ludwigia suggests. (Kids will touch every surface and details are lost and finger grease/etc. eventually builds up - but hopefully anyone picking them up will know to handle them by the edges!)

I don't see any obvious pyrite in them so I don't think you have to worry about pyritization.

Where did you find them, somewhere in NM?

Yes, these are from New Mexico, near Alamogordo. These were found in what is described as Pennsylvania Gobbler (Pg) formation (just above Mississippian Lake Valley), though they seem inconsistent with the description of Pg. Nearby are igneous intrusions, primarily porphyry. The outsides and edges of most of the fern bearing rock show iron crystallization. Because of the colorization I tend to think it is iron staining of some type. 

It's not just kids who can't keep their fingers out of the good area. We do have friends who stick their fingers into sensitive areas (like the pockets of my obsidian specimens having crystobalite and fayalite crystals which are very delicate) and I have seen them run their fingernails along the finely detailed aspects of these leaves. I guess to feel the texture. Who knows. 

image.thumb.png.640f9d0e1ba36a7f06d2ff5ce0dcd69b.png

OK... if you're going to allow people to handle them, you could do a coating of something as recommended above. If they were mine, I would leave them as is, and not let anybody touch them! They're too nice, and from an unusual location!

If you do go through with the coating, remember that any coating should be as thin as possible, and not glossy, if you want to avoid the resulting difficulty of photographing them again afterward.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

OK... if you're going to allow people to handle them, you could do a coating of something as recommended above. If they were mine, I would leave them as is, and not let anybody touch them! They're too nice, and from an unusual location!

If you do go through with the coating, remember that any coating should be as thin as possible, and not glossy, if you want to avoid the resulting difficulty of photographing them again afterward.

I actually don't want them to handle them. With no display case at this time it is surprising how many adults, even after you request politely, will still touch things when you leave the room. haha...little kids just grow into big kids I guess!