Tiger Shark Teeth

edd

they all come from the same creek in Gainesville - Fla....i just wanna know if i have them "right" or there's a tooth in there from a different species?.(1)photo G. cuvier, (2)photo G.contortus?

post-1674-12532419587405_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12532419725354_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I think you have them all right :D

Wow, look at all the variation in the color. That's a sweet spot :wub:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Actually contortus is not Galeocerdo but it is now Physogaleus according to Ward & Bonavia (2001:138). Physogaleus is a requiem shark.

And as I stated before most of the material found in those creeks are Miocene which would make the majority of the teeth aduncus not cuvier. It does happen from time to time that you find either cuvier or mayumbensis but it is rare and hard to determine with certainty, since geologic age is a major deciding factor when it comes to identifying shark teeth.

Hmmm... so they are aduncus and physogaleus.

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Galeocerdo cuvier, Galeocerdo aduncus and Physogaleus contortus are the current correct names

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Galeocerdo cuvier, Galeocerdo aduncus and Physogaleus contortus are the current correct names

Have not been able to figure out the reason the names get changed.....?

Welcome to the forum!

If you look at the other Physogaleus you can see very similar tooth structure. I think they are correct in changing the genus of this species.

Have not been able to figure out the reason the names get changed.....?

Taxonomists are constantly reviewing and describing critters. I work with spiders a lot and the names change about every week it seems like. There are always going to be problems especially considering they are primarily looking at teeth. The worst for me is when you have old species described as new. Then you have synonymy when they catch it, with some using the correct name and others using the junior. I have conversed with someone who once made a living primarily describing worms.

Taxonomists are constantly reviewing and describing critters. I work with spiders a lot and the names change about every week it seems like. There are always going to be problems especially considering they are primarily looking at teeth. The worst for me is when you have old species described as new. Then you have synonymy when they catch it, with some using the correct name and others using the junior. I have conversed with someone who once made a living primarily describing worms.

No wonder it gets confusing..

Old species described as new... is that based on huge changes that were never noticed before

mainly?

Welcome to the forum!

No wonder it gets confusing..

Old species described as new... is that based on huge changes that were never noticed before

mainly?

Genetic advances, sometimes it transpires that similarities are actually homologous and not analogous; this results in reinterpretations of clades etc.