Cretaceous New Jersery hunt

Darktooth

It is close to Midnight, about an hour before I leave Syracuse for a 5hr drive to the Cretaceous  of New Jersey. I tried to get some sleep around 8:30 but all I could do was toss and turn as I am excited to get one last hunt in before the new year. I am bringing a co-worker and his girlfriend along. This will be their first Cretaceous  hunt. We will be meeting g up with @Trevor @The Jersey Devil and another of Trevor's friends. Unfortunately  Frank is not feeling well so won't be meeting up for this hunt. The weather is supposed  to be warm but is calling for rain all day.  I guess we will just have to make the best of it. The only reason I am even posting this right now is because I am so anxious. The weather here in New York has been pretty bad for me too do much in the way of fossilhunts, plus I have been too busy. I am off for the next couple weeks while my company  moves to a brand new building  that they had built. Anyways I am sitting g here counting the minutes till I leave. The car is all packed. I hope that I am not forgetting  anything. I will be sure to let you all know how it goes. Wish us luck! ( Please):)

• I found this Informative 12

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You got this!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

33 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

It is close to Midnight, about an hour before I leave Syracuse for a 5hr drive to the Cretaceous  of New Jersey. I tried to get some sleep around 8:30 but all I could do was toss and turn as I am excited to get one last hunt in before the new year. I am bringing a co-worker and his girlfriend along. This will be their first Cretaceous  hunt. We will be meeting g up with @Trevor @The Jersey Devil and another of Trevor's friends. Unfortunately  Frank is not feeling well so won't be meeting up for this hunt. The weather is supposed  to be warm but is calling for rain all day.  I guess we will just have to make the best of it. The only reason I am even posting this right now is because I am so anxious. The weather here in New York has been pretty bad for me too do much in the way of fossilhunts, plus I have been too busy. I am off for the next couple weeks while my company  moves to a brand new building  that they had built. Anyways I am sitting g here counting the minutes till I leave. The car is all packed. I hope that I am not forgetting  anything. I will be sure to let you all know how it goes. Wish us luck! ( Please):)

The thrill of the hunt has also kept me up! My wife gets mad when I just get up and tell her I cant sleep. I've always been like whether its fishing with my dad or a fossil hunt im up all night like a dog with a bone...lol. Drive safe!!!

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Well we arrived a few minutes ago. Now we just have to wait for it to get light out. The rain isn't to bad at the moment.........

The very best of luck to you and your crew. Take this unseasonable warm spell as a sign that you were meant to find something amazing today. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank-you Gentlemen with these words of encouragement  I will find fossil of the month!;)

What you guys consider warm, requires a thick parka for us sunshine whimps on the "other coast".

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Im from PA. Wishing you a good hunt. Would love to go collecting in NJ sometime if any of you need an extra hand...

Ok folks a am just waking g up from yesterdays long tiring trip. Originally I was in discussions  with @Al Tahan about getting together and going for a hunt at Calvert cliffs. We couldn't work our schedules out. So then I contacted @Shark Tooth Hunter to see about meeting up for a hunt. Around that time forum members were posting how dangerous the cliffs were getting will all the rain and high water. I decided that may e it would be better for the time being to switch gears and go to New Jersery to hunt the streams. So I then asked Frank and @Trevor about meeting up. I got my friend Mike and his girlfriend Gina to come as he has had interest on going sharkteeth hunting. So we left Syracuse at 1am and arrived at the stream around 6am. We ate some breakfast while we waited for it to get light up and hit the stream around 7. It was raining and Trevor had said the streams were running high from previous rain. We noticed right away that hunters had been hitting the stream up pretty good as there were piles of gravel thrown high up on the banks. Tell tale signs of sifting. We dug in and Gina was the first one to find a decent Sharktooth. She was pretty excited as this was her first time. After a while everyone  was finding stuff. I had to Id stuff for them as they are not familiar  with those infamous Jersey iron concretions. But they were also finding some other real fossils like  crab claws, mosasaur tooth fragment, fish teeth and what appeared  to me as a piece of fossilized cartilage  which I got excited about. Mike is supposed to send me pics that I will post later. We met up with @Trevor @The Jersey Devil and their friend Tyler around 10:45. Frank couldn't make it as he was not feeling well. I brought plenty of New York trilos for them as I figured they would like something different from their typical  finds. About this time it was raining harder and the water was getti g higher as well as murkier. We hunted till about 1:30. At one point I went upstream by myself to check out another gravel bar. I heard someone yell to me and I turned around to see Trevor , Joseph and Tyler gesture that they were going up a different trail I was going g to follow but didn't want to leave Mike and Gina behind eventually. They caught up with me and I could tell they had had enough we were all soaking wet, tired and hungry. Then Gina fell in a deep hole and she was really done. So we headed back to the car. I felt bad that we couldn't tell the guys goodbye but I sent Trevor a text that we had left. After getting something to eat we made our journey back and I got home a little after 8pm. Despite the rain and high water and lack of sleep we all had a good time. I was able to scratch that fossil itch and enjoyed good company. I was glad to get in one last hunt for 2018. Here are my finds:

20181229_103210.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

7 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Ok folks a am just waking g up from yesterdays long tiring trip. Originally I was in discussions  with @Al Tahan about getting together and going for a hunt at Calvert cliffs. We couldn't work our schedules out. So then I contacted @Shark Tooth Hunter to see about meeting up for a hunt. Around that time forum members were posting how dangerous the cliffs were getting will all the rain and high water. I decided that may e it would be better for the time being to switch gears and go to New Jersery to hunt the streams. So I then asked Frank and @Trevor about meeting up. I got my friend Mike and his girlfriend Gina to come as he has had interest on going sharkteeth hunting. So we left Syracuse at 1am and arrived at the stream around 6am. We ate some breakfast while we waited for it to get light up and hit the stream around 7. It was raining and Trevor had said the streams were running high from previous rain. We noticed right away that hunters had been hitting the stream up pretty good as there were piles of gravel thrown high up on the banks. Tell tale signs of sifting. We dug in and Gina was the first one to find a decent Sharktooth. She was pretty excited as this was her first time. After a while everyone  was finding stuff. I had to Id stuff for them as they are not familiar  with those infamous Jersey iron concretions. But they were also finding some other real fossils like  crab claws, mosasaur tooth fragment, fish teeth and what appeared  to me as a piece of fossilized cartilage  which I got excited about. Mike is supposed to send me pics that I will post later. We met up with @Trevor @The Jersey Devil and their friend Tyler around 10:45. Frank couldn't make it as he was not feeling well. I brought plenty of New York trilos for them as I figured they would like something different from their typical  finds. About this time it was raining harder and the water was getti g higher as well as murkier. We hunted till about 1:30. At one point I went upstream by myself to check out another gravel bar. I heard someone yell to me and I turned around to see Trevor , Joseph and Tyler gesture that they were going up a different trail I was going g to follow but didn't want to leave Mike and Gina behind eventually. They caught up with me and I could tell they had had enough we were all soaking wet, tired and hungry. Then Gina fell in a deep hole and she was really done. So we headed back to the car. I felt bad that we couldn't tell the guys goodbye but I sent Trevor a text that we had left. After getting something to eat we made our journey back and I got home a little after 8pm. Despite the rain and high water and lack of sleep we all had a good time. I was able to scratch that fossil itch and enjoyed good company. I was glad to get in one last hunt for 2018. Here are my finds:

I love Cretaceous teeth! I wish I could fossil hunt with you guys up there. Maybe one day when im older and can pay for that..... I really like those teeth grouped together in the bottom left.. Are they common? What is their name? I want to look for those, i love their blades.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

5 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I love Cretaceous teeth! I wish I could fossil hunt with you guys up there. Maybe one day when im older and can pay for that..... I really like those teeth grouped together in the bottom left.. Are they common? What is their name? I want to look for those, i love their blades.

Those are Squalicoax sp. They are probably the most common sharkteeth found down there are are my favorite  Cretaceous  tooth to collect

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Those are Squalicoax sp. They are probably the most common sharkteeth found down there are are my favorite  Cretaceous  tooth to collect

cool, thanks for the info. Nice hunt by the way! ours was similar at Brownies

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Wow, great finds brother! Looks like you found some larger teeth! I am glad it was a good time!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

2 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I wish I could fossil hunt with you guys up there. Maybe one day when im older and can pay for that..... 

Just convince MomAnonymous to take a road trip a few hours away. You sell her on the idea that Cretaceous teeth are 65 myo, way cooler than that miocene stuff.;)

• I found this Informative 2

looks like you got some nice teeth! I see a few head turners in there:meg:. Sad I couldn’t go. I actually got out to Lang’s quarry today and scored a fossil of the month! I should post the impromptu trip. Can’t wait for the winter to be done so we can hit up some trilobites :trilo:

Congratulations Dave. You killed it with the Squalicorax and also found some nice Macks and Goblins. Great finds for a subpar condition day. I plan to return there in about a week. 

Congratulations on the finds, Dave. :) 

Good on you!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Dave. You killed it with the Squalicorax and also found some nice Macks and Goblins. Great finds for a subpar condition day. I plan to return there in about a week. 

Thanks Jeff! I was really hoping to find my first mosasaur,  but it still eludes me. I was happy enough with my sharkteeth. Good luck when you go!

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations on the finds, Dave. :) 

Good on you!

Thanks Tim! I am looking forward to you,Jeff, and the crew coming back in the Spring!