December 27, 2018 Yankeetown, FL spoil islands

Sacha

In an effort to do something while the Peace and the Santa Fe decline from flood stage, I went back to Yankeetown to look for echinoids without any real expectations. Tide was low and the wind was strong out of the east so the water level was very low. Screening was pretty much out of the question without serious back strain, so I spent a few hours on hands and knees looking between all the footprints for something that holiday week hunters may have missed. I brought home nice examples of several of the more common species including Eupatagus antillarium ( only 5 examples which, I think, shows extraordinary self control) one of which was a nice matrix specimen, several Neolaganum durami (one pictured and one in matrix), 1 small Rhyncholampas ericsoni, 1 nice Agassizia clevei and best of all 1 Eupatagus ocalanus (still to be verified) in the bottom left of the picture. Sorry the picture isn't the best, but I can't figure out how to improve the contrast to how the detail.

IMG_0139.thumb.jpg.734cc00fd1d4d9ca783a057094b68b1a.jpg

I'm pretty new to this echinoid stuff, really only interested since last years contributions to the invertebrate collection at UF. Posts like this one are probably pretty basic to most forum members, but I'm feeling pretty chuffed about the variety of species that can be found in Florida. It's nice to have access to echinoid sites during high river water levels too. 

• I found this Informative 9

I love them , John.  You have some great examples and, as you say, we are searching for fossil opportunities in these difficult days...

I went to Yankeetown 2 or 3 times back in 2011 and found many similar to yours but no Eupatagus ocalanus !!! I have not been back.  Yankeetown is a long haul from Sanibel. In most cases , there are easier sites for me to hunt.

Thanks for sharing

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very nice echinoids! 

1 hour ago, Sacha said:

Sorry the picture isn't the best, but I can't figure out how to improve the contrast to how the detail.

You might try using a single light source. Sometimes the details are revealed by shadows.:)

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I went to Yankeetown 2 or 3 times back in 2011 and found many similar to yours but no Eupatagus ocalanus !!! 

Well I didn't find one either Jack! Roger Portall just got back to me to say it as just another E. antillarium with a weird test shape. Bummer. It looks s different that I was sure I had something there.

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.72c69e3debf7d0bfcff0ed2b88fd5d0c.jpg

8 hours ago, Sacha said:

Well I didn't find one either Jack! Roger Portall just got back to me to say it as just another E. antillarium with a weird test shape. Bummer. It looks s different that I was sure I had something there.

I think a pathologic E. antilarium is a good "something".

All nice finds anyways.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Congratulations on those echinoids. I love the preservation and detail in those specimens. Thanks for sharing.

Hey John, enjoyed seeing the latest echys and especially the strangely formed one! congrats! 

Happy New Year!

Regards, Chris