An Ear-y Time at Brownie's

Littlefoot

On a beautiful Dec. 27, @Chomper and I set off for Brownie's Beach for what's probably our last fossil hunt of the year. We arrived at about 10 a.m., with low tide expected around 1 p.m., and quickly we rounded the point and began searching.

I layered up pretty heavily, and ended up feeling like I was the Staypuff Marshmallow Man slowly turning to goo in the sun. However, once the sun disappeared, I was glad for all those layers!

We encountered a few other fossil hunters, but I really enjoyed talking to an older man who said he lived eight minutes away. He was hunting with a younger boy, and those two knew their stuff! I always love talking to those with more experience, as I feel like I can never learn too much about fossils. The man pointed out the various levels in the cliffs, including where the megalodon teeth are to be found!

We didn't find any megalodons, but we found some nice teeth. I really scored big with some wonderful bone finds, including three ear bones, which are one of my favorite bones to find! I nearly doubled my ear bone collection in just one trip!

IMG_6415_small.jpg

IMG_6418_small.jpg

IMG_6424_small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I knew I'd found two ear bones, but at home, I was going through all the other bone pieces I'd collected and discovered that one of them was another ear bone (I think -- I'm always open to being corrected!). I took a close-up of the smaller bone, just in case!

IMG_6446_small.jpg

IMG_6453_small.jpg

My daughter actually discovered that one of the random bones I'd collected was really a jawbone. "What's this, Mommy?" she asked me. "Whoo-hoo! It's a jawbone!" I cried out, and she looked a bit startled at my excitement.

I was really pleased with my vertebrae finds. I also found what may be the world's most worn vertebrae cookie, which I happened to notice under a fallen tree that Chomper and I were resting on. It was literally under our feet!

The teeth were small, but plentiful. I didn't want to vacuum them all up, so ignored quite a few. I also found quite a few ray plates, and my favorite is pictured.

IMG_6434_small.jpg

IMG_6435_small.jpg

IMG_6436_small.jpg

IMG_6439_small.jpg

IMG_6447_small.jpg

IMG_6451_small.jpg

@LittlefootWow! I love those finds, especially the jawbone. I have never found one of those before, fantastic find.!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

16 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

@LittlefootWow! I love those finds, especially the jawbone. I have never found one of those before, fantastic find.!

Thank you! It's my first jawbone as well, and I think it's funny that I didn't even notice it until my daughter pointed it out. I tend to pick up anything that looks interesting, then take a closer look when I get home. Or rather, my daughter takes a closer look! She's got better eyes than I do!

Nice finds! Glad you were able to get out and hunt.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.