What are the hours of the Waco Research Pit?

KCMOfossil

I went by the Corps of Engineers office and got signed up to visit the Waco Research Pit but I forgot to ask the hours the pit is open?  Does anyone know?  The office is closed now, and I'm thinking of going in the morning.  

Russ

I don't think there are set hours, just as long as the sun is up. There is no gate - just put the permit in your car window, and security shouldn't mess with you. 

The fossils are very small, black, and usually heavily pyritized. Some of the oysters I have found have geodes occurring inside. The mammoth park nearby is pretty cool if you have time afterwards. 

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 2

I agree. Having a permit in the windshield of your car should be enough to gain access. Be prepared to hunt for very tiny fossils usually less than half an inch. I visited there in September and for the first hour I just wasn't seeing them, but once I found a few I realized they were all over. Some very cool and unique ammonites and gastropods. 

• I found this Informative 1

No real hours to hunt, mainly just as long as the sun is up.  Yes, make sure to have the parking permit on the dashboard and keep the permit on you when hunting.  They have been enforcing the two fossils rule pretty heavily last year.  And that means two per permit so if you go with a group or one other it is better for each and every person to have their own permit.

8 hours ago, RyanNREMTP said:

two per permit so if you go with a group or one other it is better for each and every person to have their own permit.

Thanks.  This is a helpful suggestion.  We went and had a good time, although it was very muddy.  We are not likely to go back because of the two fossil limit.  

Russ

@KCMOfossilGlad you had a good trip, and that is very disappointing if they are really enforcing the two fossil limit. It’s not like you are walking out if there with two T-Rex skulls!  As a couple of folks have mentioned, while most of the material from the Research Pit is small, some larger material can be found. The picture below is a nice Lopha I found that is nearly 3” long. (It was all together when I found it so only counted as one specimen :shrug:)

There are a few big things there to collect.  Mainly devil's toenails.  I have found a shark tooth nearly 2 inches long out there during one trip.  But yes the limit is discouraging to me as well. I haven't been back since they ruined a DPS field trip out there that I was on. Sadly that pretty much killed my desire to hunt fossils these days.

11 hours ago, ClearLake said:

@KCMOfossilGlad you had a good trip, and that is very disappointing if they are really enforcing the two fossil limit. It’s not like you are walking out if there with two T-Rex skulls!  As a couple of folks have mentioned, while most of the material from the Research Pit is small, some larger material can be found. The picture below is a nice Lopha I found that is nearly 3” long. (It was all together when I found it so only counted as one specimen :shrug:)

No pic...

11 minutes ago, facehugger said:

No pic...

Hmmm, not sure what happened, it showed up on my ipad last night.  Oh well, lets try again.  Thanks for letting me know.

Lopha1 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...