A quick (but warm!) hunt at Etobicoke Creek

Monica

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Sounds like a wonderful day of fossil hunting with the kids.

Have a fun and safe new year.

10 hours ago, Zapsalis said:

Sounds like you had fun! Happy New Years from Wisconsin, USA! :D 

It was indeed a nice afternoon out with the kids!  Thanks for checking in - all the best to both of you in 2019!

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-12-28 at 5:41 PM, Kane said:

Are there any (legal) spots for excavation there? Would be great to crack some fresh GB Formation!

Saw this topic just now. Sorry, Hamilton’s kept me busy ;).

Hey Kane, there are visible exposures of the Georgian Bay formation present throughout Etobicoke Creek, as well as the Humber River and Mimico Creek. Most are hidden away from public view and are not easily accessible. So that means having to wade in the water, dodging branches and thorns, dealing with gnats/mosquitos etc. I’ve “dug” on visible exposures before but the erosion is strong from the waters to the point that limestone just fall to the bottom so digging is just unneccessary and you can find nice material in the rubble. The only exception to that is when I am splitting shale for trilos or stuffs. Just be careful not have rocks fall on you, some exposures can look unstable. 

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 months later...

I loved this whole thread!

As a beginner, I find this Etobicoke Creek to be fabulous and full of interesting material. Most is not of the type I can carry away, so I often photograph it.

Below is a fossil from right near the Lakeshore RdaNAutiloid40.thumb.jpg.ef84c11476316ff9f0e6f0497678fc16.jpgaNAutiloid8890.thumb.jpg.37fc10f5c8c6e2a99c84f61c46cf79a2.jpg Bridge.

• I found this Informative 1

18 hours ago, markjw said:

I loved this whole thread!

As a beginner, I find this Etobicoke Creek to be fabulous and full of interesting material. Most is not of the type I can carry away, so I often photograph it.

Below is a fossil from right near the Lakeshore Rd Bridge.

aNAutiloid8890.thumb.jpg.37fc10f5c8c6e2a99c84f61c46cf79a2.jpg aNAutiloid40.thumb.jpg.ef84c11476316ff9f0e6f0497678fc16.jpg

Congrats on getting a nice Treptoceras crebiseptum specimen. 

17 hours ago, markjw said:

Same general area

aStems50.jpg

I like these crinoid stems possibly better than the Treptoceras! You were not able to collect this piece? :shakehead: