Monica

A quick (but warm!) hunt at Etobicoke Creek

Kane

Are there any (legal) spots for excavation there? Would be great to crack some fresh GB Formation!

Monica
Just now, Kane said:

Are there any (legal) spots for excavation there?

Where - at Mimico Creek?

Kane
Just now, Monica said:

Where - at Mimico Creek?

I think you tagged Etobicoke Creek. I'm just curious if those of us with hammers at the ready would be able to chip away for fresh material or if that would be verboten. :P 

Kane

Thanks, Monica! :) So it might not be as yielding to my usual dainty approach? :P I'll need to inspect some images to see if there are "pry points" where I can dislodge some slabs. There are a few GB trilobites I need. I just wanted to ensure that the public accessible act was in force for that area when I visit should I do a little (light) excavation. 

Monica
5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Monica! :) So it might not be as yielding to my usual dainty approach? :P I'll need to inspect some images to see if there are "pry points" where I can dislodge some slabs. There are a few GB trilobites I need. I just wanted to ensure that the public accessible act was in force for that area when I visit should I do a little (light) excavation. 

That is indeed an interesting way to describe your approach to fossil-hunting :P

The next time I visit my usual sites I'll make sure to take some pictures of the surroundings so you can get an idea of what you'd be working with if you visited my local haunts.  I'm sure there are places where there are significant exposures along both creeks, but with my kids in tow I can't really do any exploratory work.  Perhaps @JUAN EMMANUEL can make some suggestions since he used to hunt extensively in the Toronto area.

Kane

Next time they have me run a workshop in your part of the world, I'll make it out there somehow with some tools! You and Viola get any spoils, of course! :) 

Ludwigia

Thanks for the report, Monica. Nice to hear that it's warmed up a bit.

Monica
13 minutes ago, Kane said:

Next time they have me run a workshop in your part of the world, I'll make it out there somehow with some tools! You and Viola get any spoils, of course! :) 

It's a deal! :dinothumb:

Monica
4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for the report, Monica. Nice to hear that it's warmed up a bit.

You're very welcome, Roger!  I hope you've been having a great holiday! :)

Ludwigia
Just now, Monica said:

You're very welcome, Roger!  I hope you've been having a great holiday! :)

Thanks. Been spending lots of time with my kids & grandkids. Just went to see Mary Poppins. In the between times I've been fiddling around in the workshop and maybe I'll pick a day to go collecting next week.

UtahFossilHunter

Nice finds and cute kids! Is it possible to get full orthocones there?

digit
1 hour ago, Monica said:

Viola showing off one of her finds (another T. crebriseptum) with William joining in on the photo:

Nice to see some reasonable weather allowed you to accompany the real fossil hunter (Viola) into the field. ;) Amazed William was game for a fossil hunt as well (I blame it on cabin fever). :P

The grass is always greener (or the snow whiter?) on the other side of the fence. I pulled weeds for 6 hours and spread 40 bags of mulch around the yard and broke into a sweat doing it. I'd love to be able to put on a nice jacket and romp around in some chilly weather right about now--go figure.

Hope all my Canadian fossil friends @Monica @Malcolmt and @Kane have stocked the larder with fossil material to work on through the short days of winter.

Cheers.

-Ken

Monica
44 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Nice finds and cute kids! Is it possible to get full orthocones there?

I'm sure it is possible, but I haven't found one yet - maybe next summer will be my summer... :fingerscrossed:

Tidgy's Dad

It's brilliant that you can still manage to get out collecting at this time of year, Monica. :)

Love the photos and finds and that Sowerbyella is a beauty, thanks for tagging me. :wub:

Monica
Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's brilliant that you can still manage to get out collecting at this time of year, Monica. :)

Love the photos and finds and that Sowerbyella is a beauty, thanks for tagging me. :wub:

You're very welcome :)

caldigger

20181228_164046.png

I contend that is a forced smile!

Monica
2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

20181228_164046.png

Hey Doren!

That's William - he's not great at photo-taking - he's either looking away from the camera or he's making a face such as the one above - he's a silly one :P

Monica

PS - It's absolutely a forced smile - he generally dislikes having his photo taken.

caldigger
49 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hey Doren!

That's William - he's not great at photo-taking - he's either looking away from the camera or he's making a face such as the one above - he's a silly one :P

Monica

PS - It's absolutely a forced smile - he generally dislikes having his photo taken.

He's a boy, what else can you expect?!

I share the same feelings about having my picture taken also. I am the bane of the family photo albums.

Kane
54 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I share the same feelings about having my picture taken also. I am the bane of the family photo albums.

I find after the third photographer you eat, they get the message. :D

Adam86cucv
1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I'm right there with you and my wife complains that our boys are taking after my when it comes to taking pictures. :hearty-laugh:

ynot

Sounds like a wonderful day of fossil hunting with the kids.

Have a fun and safe new year.

Zapsalis

Sounds like you had fun! Happy New Years from Wisconsin, USA! :D 

Monica
12 hours ago, digit said:

Nice to see some reasonable weather allowed you to accompany the real fossil hunter (Viola) into the field. ;) Amazed William was game for a fossil hunt as well (I blame it on cabin fever). :P

The grass is always greener (or the snow whiter?) on the other side of the fence. I pulled weeds for 6 hours and spread 40 bags of mulch around the yard and broke into a sweat doing it. I'd love to be able to put on a nice jacket and romp around in some chilly weather right about now--go figure.

Hope all my Canadian fossil friends @Monica @Malcolmt and @Kane have stocked the larder with fossil material to work on through the short days of winter.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hey Ken!

The kids did indeed have cabin fever yesterday, as did I, which is why I suggested getting out for a bit!  I think William was game, though, because he had a lot of fun breaking ice and throwing rocks into the creek the day before - he didn't have the chance to break ice again yesterday since it was so warm, but he still had fun (and even managed to stumble and sort of fall into the creek - luckily only his hands got wet!).

As for winter projects - I have a nice-sized bag of micro matrix to work through that I received as a gift from a friend in Florida - that should keep me busy for a bit ;)

Happy holidays to you and Tammy!  I hope your yard work is done! :)

Monica