NSR Shark Teeth

ThePhysicist

These are various shark teeth from the north sulfur river in ladonia, tx of varying completeness. I'm not sure of the species of the fragments, but the one with most of the root is definitely pseudocorax granti.

IMG_3462.jpg

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

big middle frag looks somewhat like a type of mako (or great white or whatever they're called these days.) :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

1 hour ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

big middle frag looks somewhat like a type of mako (or great white or whatever they're called these days.) :)

Did you mean Carcharodon hastalis?

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

5 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Probably not due to the NSR being from the late cretaceous (Ozan formation), the most recent fossils found there are from the pleistocene and are terrestrial (no GWs or Makos).

The tooth is most likely from a Scapanorhynchus texanus, a cretaceous goblin shark commonly found there and most anywhere with cretaceous marine fossils.

9 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Probably not due to the NSR being from the late cretaceous (Ozan formation), the most recent fossils found there are from the pleistocene and are terrestrial (no GWs or Makos).

The tooth is most likely from a Scapanorhynchus texanus, a cretaceous goblin shark commonly found there and most anywhere with cretaceous marine fossils.

We find Scapanorhynchus and Squalicorax teeth by the dozens at a couple of Cretaceous exposures in NC, so I'm quite familiar with them.

I was just referring to FossilAnonymous' comment, type of mako (or great white or whatever they're called these days.) :)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

9 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

We find Scapanorhynchus and Squalicorax teeth by the dozens at a couple of Cretaceous exposures in NC, so I'm quite familiar with them.

I was just referring to FossilAnonymous' comment, type of mako (or great white or whatever they're called these days.) :)

Yeah I get that, I was just making the correction for the first comment as there are none of those sharks found in the NSR