White shark tooth with root missing?

Reebs

Great White teeth do tend to have very coarse serrations which this one has from the looks of it. I see Tony's point that the enamel dips down on the lingual (rounded) side where the megalodon bourlette would be. I'm probably in the rootless meg camp as well. Can we get a size for this tooth? That would help a lot as megs top out at a much much larger size than GW's.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Great White teeth do tend to have very coarse serrations which this one has from the looks of it. I see Tony's point that the enamel dips down on the lingual (rounded) side where the megalodon bourlette would be. I'm probably in the rootless meg camp as well. Can we get a size for this tooth? That would help a lot as megs top out at a much much larger size than GW's.

Cheers.

-Ken

OP said 2.25 inch.

With root would be a large great white, but not unheard of size.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am jealous!:envy:

Nice meg!

Thanks so much! It’s my first real meg... found lots of halves and smaller pieces over the years but never a whole one. So greatful to have experienced the thrill of finding such a treasure. 

It is indeed a real beauty. Looks like you've got access to a land-based site--lucky you. ;) I've been poking around the Peace River for over 10 years now and it's nicer than anything I've manage to pull out of there.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/29/2018 at 8:53 AM, digit said:

It is indeed a real beauty. Looks like you've got access to a land-based site--lucky you. ;) I've been poking around the Peace River for over 10 years now and it's nicer than anything I've manage to pull out of there.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Ken,

I usually drive hours to hunt rivers and this was actually found within walking distance to my back yard!! I kind of stumbled upon this great land based site but sadly time is running out to dig there as there are other big plans for the land in the near future.  I will forever be in awe that that piece of history landed in my hands!!!

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2018 at 11:34 PM, Reebs said:

I found this right next to it...3.75” 

E308D67E-A874-4551-B007-DCEF7D31C767.jpeg

@Reebs That's a beautiful Meg, congrats! Did you have to dig for it? I've hunted Florida beaches for 10+ years but I haven't found a Meg yet. I did just find an awesome sand shark tooth though.

sand shark.jpg

@Bronzviking thank you! No digging on this one, it was fully exposed when I found it!! Crazy!  I have been searching beaches for years as well and this is my first and it was inland. 

Nice find as well!