D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

I recently found one rectangular tooth plate or osteoderm like fossil with tenuous canals and even poorly visible rough pointy texture in one area, it is 5 mm length. 

From the first impression it looks more like osteichthyan tooth or tetrapod osteoderm, it is found in pink dolomite erratic. 

I had versions about stingray or Lagarodus chimaera earlier but shark teeth always have thicker ornamentation like thick canals, glossy porous dentine and many canals in root 

especially talking about chimaeras, the stingray tooth elements have parallel grooves and tuberculae that are very thick in appearance.

I also saw some osteichthyan teeth- puffer fish dental elements are triangular in shape and only one tooth in Darwin county page from Jurassic was the same in shape (but not in surface texture!) and was named as "shellfish eating fish tooth" with no taxonomic determination. :( 

The tetrapods like reptiles also have some similar osteoderms- rauisuchians and other primitive archosaurs or maybe lizards but crocodile related osteoderms have the web of tuberculae with oblong and deep pits between it and lizard osteoderms in my opinion should not be so protuberant in the central area like my find. This fossil talking about shorter edges in the ends is low and it becomes tall in thickness in the center including the same central part of longer lateral boundaries. 

I told everything about the features of fossil I found, I actually do not know its age because it was found in small erratic boulder of dolomite. Dolomite in the prequarternary surface of Baltic States is usually Devonian, Permian or Triassic but I even have confirmation of polygonal lizard scutes in dolomite so the age would be known if I would find out which taxon this skeleton element belongs to.

Pleasehelp me to know about the taxon of this remain and also- tooth or osteoderm it is? :)

Any help will be very appreciated! 

Best Regards

Domas          

actinopterygian tooth.jpg