Unexpected Eurypterid hunting!!!

Al Tahan

1 minute ago, Al Tahan said:

Thanks Kane! I’ll be sure to post it in the FOM section tomorrow when I can get it 100% picture ready :D

Heck, it was picture "perfect" ready in the shot of the rock split! 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

BTW I think the rules are pretty clear.  Once in a while a very unusual situation comes up, like this one.  If anyone is uncertain how to interpret the rules in such a situation just ask a moderator.

No one has ever suggested that having to pay a parking fee (for example, at Brownies Beach in the summer), or pay for access to a site (such as Penn Dixie), in any way excludes a fossil you found yourself.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

BTW I think the rules are pretty clear.  Once in a while a very unusual situation comes up, like this one.  If anyone is uncertain how to interpret the rules in such a situation just ask a moderator.

No one has ever suggested that having to pay a parking fee (for example, at Brownies Beach in the summer), or pay for access to a site (such as Penn Dixie), in any way excludes a fossil you found yourself.

Don

I am very excited that Al’s find will eligible to be entered into the monthly fossil contest. It is an incredible find.

There are commercial quarries/ claims that require you to purchase you finds if they exceed a certain value. We should clarify our rules to allow purchased fossils if they were found by you. As written, our rules do not make this clear as demonstrated by the comment by Al Tahan.  “I had to buy but I also found  it so I don’t know how it works with fossil of the month qualifications lol.”

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Kane said:

They are quite clear, and have been finessed by staff over several years. ;)

Al, this would qualify as it was found by you. I love how the eurypterid has its arms up as if saying, “hooray for finding me!” Well done!

Indeed @Kane...well said!

Congratulations, Al!

The rules are quite clear.  Personally making the find supersedes any fee to own the find.  No other clarification is really needed.  

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well there goes my chances for IFOTM :shrug:Regardless, congratulations on a fantastic find! I need to learn more about Lang's quarry as eurypterids are fossils close to the top of my bucket list.

• I found this Informative 2

Holy cow! That’s gorgeous :wub:  Many things have come and gone off my bucket list but eurypterids have always been on there. Spectacular find!

BTW how old are the rocks there?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Picture perfect! There sure are some great specimens coming out of that quarry, but it's obvious to me that you usually have to work really hard to find them. You sure did bring Al good luck this time around.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Al great post indeed, very interesting and with lovely photos. I am really glad you purchased it . I think if you had not and he sold to someone else you would have regret it. Probably the nicest specimen I have seen for a long time, it does have some really great details.  First find wow. Thank you so much for sharing your story and good luck with fossil of the month.

Cheers Bobby :wub:

@Al Tahan This is some excellent stuff - really neat report; and some beautiful fossils!!! Congrats on finding that stuff* :D  

I have to go collecting there one day...

-Christian

*what I'd call "ending the year in beauty and with a bang!" ;) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Now that... :faint:

I've got no words to describe how amazed I am by this find! Absolutely awesome!

Congratulations Al on this stellar fossil :dinothumb: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, TqB said:

Great story and wonderful specimen, Al. I've never used this emoticon before..:envy: 

I think a lot of us are envious in more ways than one!

A great find and addition to your collection :drool:.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Wow - excellent finds!!!  Congrats, and I'm happy to hear you had such an unexpected and great day out!!! 

Oh yes, I'm also :envy:

I agree with the other arguments put forth, Al. 

This is well within the rules for FotM.   :)

Good luck, it is a fantastic find.   :fingerscrossed:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Holy cow! That’s gorgeous :wub:  Many things have come and gone off my bucket list but eurypterids have always been on there. Spectacular find!

BTW how old are the rocks there?

The rocks are upper Silurian. I think many consider the fiddlers green member to be around 445-420 million years old. 

@Ludwigia yea it was really lucky I won’t lie ha. We were out there for about an hour poking around. More recon than anything. 

@Bobby Rico yea I would have regretted not purchasing it for sure. To be clear I have found Eurypterid fragments and a small 3/4 specimen at the well known Litchfield roadcut but this was my first real legit “complete” and “wow!” Specimen. I had to have it lol. I always like having a “exemplary” specimen in my collection no matter what it is. 

Thanks @Max-fossils @t-tree And @Monica ....if I didn’t have to leave town immediately after going home I’d be staring at it over and over. I tend to do that with my favorite finds lol. For now I’m staring at photos :rofl:

@Fossildude19 and FOTM post is coming tonight! 

Sweet!

I don't buy fossils, because the pleasure is in finding them, myself.  But in your situation, I'd have paid good money to keep that one, too.

Congratulations. That is a real super neat find. Well worth whatever you paid for it. Love that it's nearly complete. The detail on the arms is just awesome. Good luck on the FOTM contest. I would love to collect there someday since I have only one eurypterid fossil in my collection that's not even close to yours. .