Broken Spinosaurus Tooth - How can I repair it?

EnchantedForest

Hi everyone,

unfortunately today the tip of my spinosaurus tooth has broken off - its just under 7" and about 1-2" have broken off. I've read on here that paleobond is a really great adhesive to fix this however, being from the UK I've had a look and they don't ship to where I live - I have emailed if they are able to change this waiting on a reply. I was just wondering if anyone knows in the UK if there is anywhere I can go or a similar type of adhesive that will work just as well? 

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

Paleobond is useful stuff but it is really just a form of cyanoacrylate that comes in various viscosities from thin for better penetration to thick for better gap filling. If you have issues getting Paleobond shipped to you then I'd suggest locally available cyanoacrylate ("super glues") as an alternative. I don't know what the break looks like and if it is one clean break or there are multiple splinters involved. If you can fit it back together tightly and there are only 2 pieces you might consider getting a tube of CA glue and doing this yourself. If it looks like it would be more complicated than you'd like to attempt, then you might be able to find another TFF member in your area who might have the experience to help with this. Alternatively, if you have a natural history museum nearby, you might be able to contact someone there in the fossil preparation department and beg a few moments of their time for a quick fix from them. Never hurts to ask.

Proper positioning of the pieces is sometimes tricky and you don't really want to have the glue set when the pieces are not quite in their proper position. You can often find slow setting super glues and a spray bottle of "accelerator" which will cause the glue to setup instantly. You might check any model shops in your area for something like this.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on glue. ;) This could be an informative topic if you post some before and after photos and let us know how the restoration to a whole tooth turns out.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Are you sure they don’t ship to where you live?

https://paleobond.com/welcome-to-the-paleobond-store/

“If you have an international shipment, we would be happy to get a DHL quote for shipping for you to compare prices. Please email your order to tracie@paleobond.com with your order and complete shipping address. We will email a quote back to you with the option to pay via PayPal, Square, or Wire Transfer.”

@Jaimin013 has had it shipped to him and he’s over in London. Here’s his experience

If they really don’t ship to where you live or you just want to try something else take a look at these threads. 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

13 minutes ago, digit said:

Paleobond is useful stuff but it is really just a form of cyanoacrylate that comes in various viscosities from thin for better penetration to thick for better gap filling. If you have issues getting Paleobond shipped to you then I'd suggest locally available cyanoacrylate ("super glues") as an alternative. I don't know what the break looks like and if it is one clean break or there are multiple splinters involved. If you can fit it back together tightly and there are only 2 pieces you might consider getting a tube of CA glue and doing this yourself. If it looks like it would be more complicated than you'd like to attempt, then you might be able to find another TFF member in your area who might have the experience to help with this. Alternatively, if you have a natural history museum nearby, you might be able to contact someone there in the fossil preparation department and beg a few moments of their time for a quick fix from them. Never hurts to ask.

Proper positioning of the pieces is sometimes tricky and you don't really want to have the glue set when the pieces are not quite in their proper position. You can often find slow setting super glues and a spray bottle of "accelerator" which will cause the glue to setup instantly. You might check any model shops in your area for something like this.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on glue. ;) This could be an informative topic if you post some before and after photos and let us know how the restoration to a whole tooth turns out.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you for the reply I've attached some before and after photos it is one clean break. Are there any super glues to avoid I've read that gorilla glue isn't recommended because it expands? 

Or do you have any recommendations on any

PBPL1299.JPG

3.jpg

26 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Are you sure they don’t ship to where you live?

https://paleobond.com/welcome-to-the-paleobond-store/

“If you have an international shipment, we would be happy to get a DHL quote for shipping for you to compare prices. Please email your order to tracie@paleobond.com with your order and complete shipping address. We will email a quote back to you with the option to pay via PayPal, Square, or Wire Transfer.”

@Jaimin013 has had it shipped to him and he’s over in London. Here’s his experience

If they really don’t ship to where you live or you just want to try something else take a look at these threads. 

Ah thank you I emailed customer services my eyes must have skipped over that part I will resend my email to that address!

• I found this Informative 1

This is what I use. It is a thin prep of cyanoacrylate. “Thin” being critical. 

I get it on Amazon pretty cheep. 

We used it on 2 dino digs I’ve been on in Wyoming.

Be careful to not get it on you hands. It bonds in maybe 10 seconds or less. Also, if you get on the edge/side of the tooth it may be hard to remove. If you use it do a practice glue on something else first even if it’s just cardboard so you know how fast it comes out. It comes or like water. If it gets on the fossil it will look like clear fingernail polish.

Bob Smith 103 Insta-Cure 2oz... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NI4JWI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Not a bad break (as far as breaks go). Looks like it might even have broken along a crack that is visible in the first image. Probably not too difficult to reassemble if you can place the pieces in their original configuration tightly (and reasonably quickly). Gorilla Glue does make cyanoacrylate (super) glues and those would probably work just fine. The one to avoid is the "Original" Gorilla Glue which is a thick syrupy brown glue. This is water activated polyurethane and will indeed expand into a tan foam while setting. I've used it to repair fossil digging shovels and all manner of things but I wouldn't get that stuff within an arm's length of any fossils I liked. ;)

Sometimes there is a desire to over-glue fossils and you end up having a bunch of glue squeeze out of the seam when gluing a tight fitting break. I try to put the glue more toward the middle and leave a bit of unglued area around the edges close to the outside surface to avoid unsightly squeeze out. Alternatively, glue boldly to ensure maximum strength and then use a CA solvent like acetone (nail polish remover) to clean-up any unsightly squeeze out.

Don't forget to post a final image when your treasured tooth is made hole. And no more letting kids use this as a drum stick. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Not a bad break (as far as breaks go). Looks like it might even have broken along a crack that is visible in the first image. Probably not too difficult to reassemble if you can place the pieces in their original configuration tightly (and reasonably quickly). Gorilla Glue does make cyanoacrylate (super) glues and those would probably work just fine. The one to avoid is the "Original" Gorilla Glue which is a thick syrupy brown glue. This is water activated polyurethane and will indeed expand into a tan foam while setting. I've used it to repair fossil digging shovels and all manner of things but I wouldn't get that stuff within an arm's length of any fossils I liked. ;)

Sometimes there is a desire to over-glue fossils and you end up having a bunch of glue squeeze out of the seam when gluing a tight fitting break. I try to put the glue more toward the middle and leave a bit of unglued area around the edges close to the outside surface to avoid unsightly squeeze out. Alternatively, glue boldly to ensure maximum strength and then use a CA solvent like acetone (nail polish remover) to clean-up any unsightly squeeze out.

Don't forget to post a final image when your treasured tooth is made hole. And no more letting kids use this as a drum stick. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

When I put it together you can hardly see the crack where it will hopefully be back soon because its in the darker area! I didn't even notice the crack that it already had until now. Okay I think I might get my dad to do it as his good at intricate things and is more careful thank me clearly lol! I will make sure I post a final photo thank you again

• I found this Informative 1

Just to add to the discussion, I recently had to repair my theropod tooth and I live in the UK and emailed their customer support. They helped me along the way and shipped the PaeloBond item to my UK address with no issues whatsoever. The item arrived in a week so you may want to check as I am pretty certain they can deliver to the UK although you will probably have to pay the shipping charges. You only need PB002 adhesive as this is strong enough to join the parts together and remember don't put too much on. Good luck!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Just to add a little more to the topic. Add the glue only to the centre of the tooth and don’t add too much glue. If you do add a lot of glue it will keep the join apart , making it more of a obvious join. 

Good luck Bobby 

• I found this Informative 3