Let’s see your collecting vehicles!

DeepTimeIsotopes

Warning: GRAPHIC and it involves blood!

1992 Honda Accord Ex and I had this 'college' car for 7 years. I was a very poor college student and this car was neglected, I'm surprised the engine didn't blow!

20160702_111754_compress68.jpg.6f4a06b60c6a3af716b993e5bbaddddb.jpg

After I landed a temporary job in Maryland, I decided this car is not up for task moving half way across the USA from Kansas, so I sold it and bought a 2001 Yukon GMC in 2016. 

20160702_112109_compress85.jpg.753d51d1b756bbcc641c88aff86c5ceb.jpg

After 7 months long stint in Maryland and my temporary job is done, I moved back to Kansas. Halfway back home or somewhere in Illinois, I hit a deer and disabled my Yukon. It happened so quickly I didn't have time to react. It was in the middle of nowhere in the dark, in the middle of winter and carrying all of my stuffs while moving back, it was the worst possible time to have a disabled vehicle. I was stuck in a small farm town for two nights before I could rent a truck to tow my dead truck back to Kansas. I had this truck for not even a year. I'm sure the deer is killed instantly, I hit it at 70mph/113kph and it basically got ripped in half on impact. The momentum was so great that I felt almost nothing, not even a whiplash. That was my first vehicle accident ever.

20170121_205710_compress54.jpg.b832e95b1e5cddf5a355688fc6256603.jpg

20170122_111743_compress60.thumb.jpg.e776e80edde6dfcec9e5572290e52501.jpg

A couple months later, I bought this 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe.

20170308_150308_compress77.jpg.0bc2259fc2081895b65a632ccdf9f2f5.jpg

A year and half later or in 2018, I will have much worst luck than I did with a deer. Halfway through my 6-month term employment in North Dakota, I got in a major accident that destroyed my Tahoe!

20180721_231504_compress97.thumb.jpg.260b110ad6035566622377ac1b9f6409.jpg

I was driving back to my apartment from Minot, North Dakota. I was there for ND State Fair. Anyway, it was around 11:00pm or a little after and it is very dark outside. I was driving on the federal highway and at 70mph/113kph, which is the speed limit, and all the sudden I hit something much bigger and much heavier! It happened so fast I couldn't even react and I didn't even know what I hit! I remember seeing something black move into the front of my speeding truck, a sudden white light flashed before my eyes while my brain bounced inside my skull forth and back. Completely disoriented and driving blind because my hood was up blocking my windshield, I slammed the brake and I could feel my truck go off the road. At the complete stop, I felt my both forearms burning from deflating airbag and the strong smell of gunpowder permeated the air. As I got out of my truck, a sudden nausea hit me and I almost vomit: I don't know why, possibly from concussion and/or adrenaline rush. Shortly after I sought aid from another motorist, I walked back about 50 meters to see what I hit. It turned out to be a big, black bovine bull! A breeding bull that somehow got loose and was roaming in the dark looking for cows to mate.

19914.thumb.jpeg.5a2598598936cb6c47657ec04ba070af.jpeg

Because it's a breeding bull, it's worth more in USA dollars than my truck! I felt kind of bad for a farmer who owned that bull.

The extent of damage in the daylight.

20180725_112220_compress89.thumb.jpg.0a36eaefdb3b858d33d367aad3447159.jpg

20180725_112316_compress4.thumb.jpg.fc0f9bf4642db6039135184d38207266.jpg

I had a headache and my neck was sore for a week. I was extremely lucky I only hit the head and shoulder of the bull, not the full body impact. I never had to go to the hospital.

A month later, I bought this beauty, a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I still have it and it's the best vehicle I have ever owned!

20180824_190528_compress87.thumb.jpg.887dab9dbc06d9e215b3b27d05ae9c8b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/5/2020 at 10:44 PM, Emthegem said:

Ehh!!!! Shout out to the biking paleontologists gang yess! It's great to see there are other collectors who use the bike to get around! Also the location is absolutely gorgeous wow :wub: Here in Toronto, the only 'mountain' we have is centennial hill, which is LITERALLY made from old garbage - you can say its a pretty trashy hill hahaha

It adds a physical flavor of excitement on the way to the mentally stimulating flavor of excitement. It saves me time and it’s more fuel efficient for me than hiking.. well the downhill part, that is :ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• 1 year later...

I am reviving this thread to show my latest creation and collecting vehicle. One of my passions is in flying around in Alaska to explore and experience what few get to see. A hobby that develop from this is maintaining and then building/rebuilding the aircraft I own and fly. This is my third such project which took 6 winters to complete and I am currently redoing the instrument panel. I call it the Monster Cub which is 20 percent bigger than a Piper Super Cub. 

C7664EC6-9CF8-42FD-9FE5-87909448C31D.jpeg.88cff8860463672a577c76ded8983cf5.jpeg

The foot wear is Scarpa Charmoz HD mountaineering boot that I am on my fourth pair and highly recommended having tried many other types. 

C5F7CA0C-603A-4ECE-A56D-E35C2AF24752.jpeg.7b8f6efc73862fbe314733035c71bcc0.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

• 1 year later...

I started using my old golf cart at Calvert Cliffs. It’s worked out phenomenal with the almost 2 mile walk to the beach. It works good on the beach as long as I stay on the wet sand, but when going through dry sand it is a bit of a beast because the wheels sink in deep. Does anyone else use any kind of cart that would work good for day trips? 

IMG_2007.jpeg

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

I started using my old golf cart at Calvert Cliffs. It’s worked out phenomenal with the almost 2 mile walk to the beach. It works good on the beach as long as I stay on the wet sand, but when going through dry sand it is a bit of a beast because the wheels sink in deep. Does anyone else use any kind of cart that would work good for day trips?

Yup... I had been thinking of something like a baby buggy to use for collecting up my local mountain (lots of bike paths etc) to get to places that I used to be able to drive up to but they blocked off vehicle access, meaning a lot of hiking and schlepping heavy tools and heavy-but-fragile fossils - in trays because they can't be stuffed into a backpack without ending up with a bag full of crumbs when I get home. My mother knew I was looking for something like this, and saw one discarded along a street in Victoria while on a Garden Club bus tour down there. She spotted it and asked the driver to stop and they stuffed it in the cargo bay I guess. Good ol' mother, she doesn't miss many opportunities or pass up free stuff! I stripped it down so I could put my collecting tray and a couple beer flats on it (and in the undercarriage) each time I go out. Could not figure out how to collapse it down to fit it in the trunk - had to ask someone at a place where they sell baby carts. Anyway, this was close to 15 years ago and it's had a lot of use since then. Less so since the pandemic but it's still usable. Sand is a little tough to drive it through but most of the ground where I collect is dirt or crumbled shale/gravel, so it's fine. I had to replace the inner tubes a while back, and pump them up often, but that is also no big problem.

buggy.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Yup... I had been thinking of something like a baby buggy to use for collecting up my local mountain (lots of bike paths etc) to get to places that I used to be able to drive up to but they blocked off vehicle access, meaning a lot of hiking and schlepping heavy tools and heavy-but-fragile fossils - in trays because they can't be stuffed into a backpack without ending up with a bag full of crumbs when I get home. My mother knew I was looking for something like this, and saw one discarded along a street in Victoria while on a Garden Club bus tour down there. She spotted it and asked the driver to stop and they stuffed it in the cargo bay I guess. Good ol' mother, she doesn't miss many opportunities or pass up free stuff! I stripped it down so I could put my collecting tray and a couple beer flats on it (and in the undercarriage) each time I go out. Could not figure out how to collapse it down to fit it in the trunk - had to ask someone at a place where they sell baby carts. Anyway, this was close to 15 years ago and it's had a lot of use since then. Less so since the pandemic but it's still usable. Sand is a little tough to drive it through but most of the ground where I collect is dirt or crumbled shale/gravel, so it's fine. I had to replace the inner tubes a while back, and pump them up often, but that is also no big problem.

buggy.jpg

I like that a lot. I’m going to have to get one for trips that require more gear. Thank you for sharing the idea. Are the paper towels for packing fossils? I’m still new to this and have only been hitting beaches for marine life, so I don’t have much knowledge in handling bigger fossils yet. 

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

I like that a lot. I’m going to have to get one for trips that require more gear. Thank you for sharing the idea. Are the paper towels for packing fossils? I’m still new to this and have only been hitting beaches for marine life, so I don’t have much knowledge in handling bigger fossils yet. 

Yes, for packing fossils or just providing a soft bed for the most fragile ones or to stop them from rolling around in the flats (I don't usually wrap anything entirely except small things that I put into a film capsule so they don't get lost), or for dabbing excess glue (when needing to stabilize in the field) or what have you.

20 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Yes, for packing fossils or just providing a soft bed for the most fragile ones or to stop them from rolling around in the flats (I don't usually wrap anything entirely except small things that I put into a film capsule so they don't get lost), or for dabbing excess glue (when needing to stabilize in the field) or what have you.

Thank you for the knowledge. I’m pretty sure I’ll be asking more questions in the future. 

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

Thank you for the knowledge. I’m pretty sure I’ll be asking more questions in the future. 

No problem.

3 hours ago, Balance said:

930C839B-F672-4AFB-B9B1-62A2E12D0FE0.thumb.jpeg.42f3a9cc56183442aeb0b7861db53f03.jpeg98232CAB-8F03-46AC-AB0B-ACC3E6B57740.thumb.jpeg.665cee6c5c6bf879e4942f90b4a55959.jpeg17DCD89D-24D7-4608-BCC3-717495B3D1AE.thumb.jpeg.ecd798d59af3c91f0d61ee69ce93806c.jpeg“Balance” 2013 Indian River 13’ riverboat.  Flat bottom tunnel hull design is incredibly buoyant and stable with almost no draft.  2.5Hp mercury 2stroke and 40lb troller. The mercury motor is jazzed up a bit with a bigger carburetor and aluminum prop so she scoots  ; ) 

She need a minimum of 3” of water to drag her around or 12” to run the motors. 7mph downstream top speed! 4mph back up stream to the ramp. She runs all season on about 5 gallons of gas, can convert to take my girls out camping, and has seen more Florida backwater than most people I know. She’s my peace at the end of a work week, but will spit you overboard if you don’t know how to run the river. Hence “Balance” 

FCBEF666-462D-4A7B-A9BE-0BB78C94E1B4.jpeg

AE6BBC50-2DEC-4FAB-9E92-416688F20E10.jpeg

7B2F4DD0-9677-4C25-BD0D-EF0A4ED73ADF.jpeg

FAF5E4B0-6F78-4B81-8ED2-A25DBCD79D75.jpeg

Nice ride, it gets you to the places that can’t be reached by land! I’m hopino to find a few launch points for my kayak to hit a few places. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, Elmo said:

IMG_2007.jpeg

If you do a search for beach fishing carts or have a browse of the beach or pier fishing forums, there are lots of DIY cart designs/projects. The best have balloon tires...I believe they are quite expensive and I am not sure how easy they are to get hold of, but they would be the best solution.

After that, I would think maybe wheel barrow wheels would offer more floatation than what you have now...

• Enjoyed 1