ThePhysicist

Hey yall!

These are a couple of items that were found in the North Sulfur River that I am uncertain about what they are. 

One appears to be bone, but has a rather porous and bubbly side and a flat and smooth other side. The other looks to be enamel, possibly from mastodon??

Thank you!

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Second is a piece of mastodon tooth probably( more likely) or mammoth tooth enamel. First looks like definite bone, hmm possibly even a pynchodontid like fish jaw but would need more images to be certain.

• I found this Informative 4

47 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not sure about the first piece, but the second is a piece of agate (not fossil).

It does look like some forms of agate but that would be very rare at this site. More likely something with calcite parts.

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, BobWill said:

It does look like some forms of agate but that would be very rare at this site. More likely something with calcite parts.

I have seen several pieces of translucent microcrystalline quartz (agate) from NSR. Most were petrified wood of unknown age.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

I agree with @NSRhunter, is a mammal tooth fragment.

I have seen a lot of agate that looks just like this piece, have never seen a tooth that has that much translucency, or that rough of a surface.

I still say the second piece is an agate.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

I have seen a lot of agate that looks just like this piece, have never seen a tooth that has that much translucency, or that rough of a surface.

I still say the second piece is an agate.

It may be. A hardness test will confirm that. @ThePhysicist

thank yall!

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

I took some more closeups of the agate/enamel. The hardness is about 6.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

On 12/31/2018 at 6:08 PM, ynot said:

What characteristics make You say that?

With the new pics, I’m not so sure. I was basing my opinion on the whitish edge that is very characteristic of mastodon enamel. Now I see there is a lot more of the whitish translucency throughout the piece. Also, when I posted previously it was New Years Eve and I’d already started celebrating!!

24 minutes ago, garyc said:

With the new pics, I’m not so sure. I was basing my opinion on the whitish edge that is very characteristic of mastodon enamel. Now I see there is a lot more of the whitish translucency throughout the piece. Also, when I posted previously it was New Years Eve and I’d already started celebrating!!

:yay-smiley-1:happy new year.

I thought the first one looked like alligator or croc scute.

The first piece I cannot verify turtle. @JarrodB could tell you as well as @Foshunter.

What it looks like to me is the partially phosphatized material I find in the dark gray crumbly clay of the red zone. That stuff is loaded with phosphatic material. Sometimes I find these pieces of stuff. It is light gray, pitted and amorphous. I don’t know the name for it is, but I have concluded it Is partially phosphatized and didn’t turn black. I have found baculites where one end was phosphatized and the other end is what I just described. It is softer than the phosphatized material and is almost always pitted.

Most of the turtle I see in the NSR is smooth, not pitted. Gator and croc scutes are pitted.

This is NSR turtle material.

DF09A2BC-AA74-4D92-91C8-250908C38517.thumb.jpeg.a421a619818dff2295e15d4e5dddcf8b.jpeg

Other side.

541088C1-A974-4ED8-98AC-47D11BB8E820.thumb.jpeg.ca4aa95a68e7aa2972f4db243892fc0d.jpeg

Not to say there isn’t another variety of turtle out there. 

There is definitely chalcedony of some variety that is abundant in the NSR. Petrified wood is a common fossil found that is preserved in chalcedony in the NSR. I’ve got lots of it.

I have also found quartz a few times. Once as in beautiful druzy form. I don’t know if it is a tooth fragment or not, but it sure looks like a form of chalcedony to me.