saddleriver

Hi,

I'm a new user so please excuse me if I don't have everything you need. I found this potential fossil in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is in fact a fossil. I have found many fossils (mostly of shells) over the years in the same area, but this is different from anything else I've seen.

I would love to know if it is a fossil. 

If it is a fossil, I'd also love to know what it is and how old it may be.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Jon

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

hand.jpg

Sorry, I see no fossil, it’s a sedimentary rock with a weird shape. Best of luck next time!! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Bergen County is mostly Triassic aged bedrock according to this map

psnjmap.pdf
I don't particularly see a fossil, I see flute casts.
Compare to this image from google
sole03.jpg

They're cool because they show the predominant direction of an old river or in a lake. Nice find!
  • I found this Informative 3

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Correction: you show an image from a lot of  flute casts,which,given assumptions about bedding morphology,sediment cohesiveness,and local hypsometry/topography and hydrology/seasonality/climate and after extensive quantitative treatment of data might show the direction of bottom currents:ninja:B)

Ut: your link doesn't seem to work,dunno if you've seen that

• I found this Informative 2

30 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Bergen County is mostly Triassic aged bedrock according to this map

psnjmap.pdf
I don't particularly see a fossil, I see flute casts.
Compare to this image from google
sole03.jpg

They're cool because they show the predominant direction of an old river or in a lake. Nice find!

I'm not sure if it comes through from the photos, but the part I'm interesting in isn't just in 1 direction. Its shaped like the number 7 and raised about 1/2 inch from the rock. On the right side is a smooth nodule that is smooth and round & has pace underneath. The nodule doesnt sit on the stone. I attached another image and outlined the shape. Not sure if it changes anything, but figured it couldnt hurt to give u the most info possible. 

4.JPG

It's either a fully articulated crocodile limb bone that just needs to be prepped out, or a rock.

My money is on rock. :)

+1 for burrow but those Triassic fossils from lake deposits often look like nothing before being prepped. I'd like to see the shells that the OP has found nearby.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Plax said:

Found any footprints in the area?

There have been footprints found in the area over the years, but I havent found any.

Do you think it could be a footprint? That was actually my initial thought 

Maybe there are bivalve trace fossils, something in the line of Lockeia - Protovirgularia.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library