Large Prognathodon Jaws

CSimpson176

Posting this a few days after driving four hours down to Tennessee and picking this bad boy up! It’s definitely the center piece of my collection thus far. Also want to say a quick thank you to all those who helped ensure the authenticity of this piece! Wasn’t about to pay all that money without being 110% sure! I did manage to come at the right time though, the shop offered a 20% post Christmas discount which helped a lot :raindance: also, any opinions on the "bite mark"? I'd be more than happy to upload more photos if needed!

image.jpg

F3B1C47E-E262-4BB3-96F8-0646C3C9630B.jpeg

Edited by CSimpson176
Had to add picture via computer after attempting on phone
  • I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very nice indeed! Great piece. Are you going to prep it at all?

That weird deformity does indeed look like some kind of trauma that's partially healed. Pathology like this on Mosasaur skulls is pretty common as far as I know. Over half of the mosa jaws I have at home have pathology on them.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

half of what?!

I've got like four either upper or lower jaw pieces, 3 of the four have pathology. I've got some other small fragments that don't have anything weird but those are too fragmentary to count really.

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

What do you think could cause the pathology? Spinosaur I guess was their only predator but no doubt crocs could cause some serious damage. 

Mosasaurs did not coexist in Morroco with Spinosaurs so far as is known. There is only one theropod described from the Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous of Khouribga. This is the Abelisaurid Chenanisaurus.

Spinosaurs from Morocco are Cenomanian in age.

It coexisted with some decently sized crocs and sharks. But the worst enemy of a Mosasaur, was another mosasaur.

I don't remember a specific study, but as far as I know it's generally excepted that there was much intraspecies fighting. Much like T. rex, it seems likely that Mosasaurs were face biters.

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bumping this post, I had originally posted this just as I was about to go back to college the very next day and had lost track of it. Thanks for the information, @LordTrilobite! I have pondered over prepping it, but honestly have no clue where to start and am apprehensive as I'm nervous about possibly damaging it due to my inexperience.

It could definitely get prettier with more prep work. But a nice piece like this, if you're inexperienced I would wait for now. Perhaps it's a good idea to get some prepping experience with a smaller inexpensive specimen. I would suggest getting like a Mosasaur tooth or some fish bones still in matrix from the same area. That should get you a feel for the material.