Oxalaia

Are platecarpus skulls rare and is this a real skull?

Ramon

Yes, platecarpus skulls are kinda rare on the market, especially fully complete ones that aren’t composites, or altered in someway. It’s hard to tell from just that one picture, but it look genuine. ;)

Pemphix

Hmm, 4 teeth with four very different colours next to each other is at least suspicious for me....:headscratch:

I see some restoration (grey mass filling missing parts), maybe some coloration in the back parts of the lower jaw...but difficult to tell from just one pic....

Aurelius

Something doesn't look right to me. Certainly there is a lot of authentic bone there, but how much compositing and restoration I wouldn't like to say. But it looks like a botch to me.

Oxalaia
6 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Something doesn't look right to me. Certainly there is a lot of authentic bone there, but how much compositing and restoration I wouldn't like to say. But it looks like a botch to me.

18 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Hmm, 4 teeth with four very different colours next to each other is at least suspicious for me....:headscratch:

I see some restoration (grey mass filling missing parts), maybe some coloration in the back parts of the lower jaw...but difficult to tell from just one pic....

Happy new year btw

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Aurelius

That prep job is extremely crude. @LordTrilobite may be able to offer some insights?

Aurelius

Judging from the first picture, he has two for sale? I'd have one, if the price was right!

Barby

---Just got a look at this one.

Agreed: AWFUL prep job, in terms of authentic prep--although, a pretty creative assortment of bone fragments which appear to have been ground to fit (badly).

Some of the  teeth are authentic; some repaired (badly),and a couple of them look to be from another animal.

If you prep, you might be able to resurrect some of this specimen,